Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, today I went buy the local audio shop and got a quote on a sound system. Keep in mind i'm a newb. For 4 Infinity 6x8's ($190), 1 crossfire ur142 amp ($139), 1 Crossfire CF 12" ($85) a 12" box ($65), a new head unit ($200) and labor it would run about $800-$900. I'm asking for Christmas and can't get it all. Now, I know at least the front speakers are a must. But my parents wont spend $900 on a system for me (which is reasonable). WHICH ITEMS ARE MOST CRITICAL????

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'd go with the deck and speakers. You can't run the sub and amp since theres nowhere in the stock unit to plug the amp into. I have an Alpine deck CDA-9807 from Ebay for just a lil over 2 bills.......check it out. I also installed Infinity's, great sound even w/out an amp. The deck and speakers you can install yourself.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any other good head units? I dont want to sound cheesy, but i'd like something with red lights and a black/gunmetal background. sound is #1 of course though.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
I realize that sound and options are the primary items but Eclipse has a better theft deterrent system than most, if that is important to you. I think it's something like if it's removed from the dash before it can be used again you have to call Eclipse. I read an article on it a while back and it was saying that because of that it was the least stolen system out there, less than 1%.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys i'll check it out. some of the sony's seem pretty cool too but i kind of worry about the reliability. I know sony used to be THE brand to have but personally i havent had great luck with them

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
they are not only unreliable but their amps and subwoofer are overrated, and can't put out of handle the amount of power they say unless you rate the products at input voltages that arne't possbile or resistances that can't be achieved without the amp overheating and turning off. Things like that. Just trust us and stay away from it. I'd really suggest on checking with your local dealer on installs with equipment that you don't purcahse form them. You can get much better if you or your parents are willing to buy from online sources such as thezeb.com, ebay and others. If you want my opinion here it is:

elemental designs 12kx - approx. $100 shipped: http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/12kx.htm#

build or buy a box - $20-$65

an avionixx amp to run front speakers and subs - $200: http://www.avionixxusa.com/

Pioneer HU - p3500 $135 /mp3 p4500 or p5500mp $155 or $180 shipped
http://www.ebay.com or http://www.theZEB.com

CDT audio cl-61a's - $150 shipped:
http://thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_speakers.html

Total: around $635 but if you get the lower non-mp3 hu and build your own box and search for the best prices you can get that down to about $550.

I say ditch the rear speakers, they will only mess up imaging (where your brain percieves the sound coming from). If you want good sound quality i'd get those cdt's, there are amazing for the price. The sub doens't need much power, only about 200-300 clean watts and the speakers need about a 100 clean watts. I say go to caraudioforum.com and read and read for a couple weeks and ask lots of questions and do the install yourself. It's a good feeling when you can do all the stuff yourself too. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

- Scott

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
rear speakers are just for fill, I have a sedan so rear speakers are a must in my opinion. But they are just coaxials with the gains turned down in order to preserve the sound stage. HU is a must. Red with gunmetal, I know that Rockford makes a real nice deck with those colors. Eclipse is almost certain to be a brushed aluminum trim with blue light. Eclipse is the least stolen head unit for several reasons. If the power to the HU is ever interrupted, disconnected from the battery, you have to have the CD Key, which can be any CD in your personal collection, the CD player then will not turn back on without the use of this CD, if this CD is destroyed or lost, you have to call eclipse and undergo pretty scrupulous identity check to make certain you are who purchased the head unit, and typically it can then only be reactivated by an authorized eclipse dealer/installer. If installed properly by an authorized dealer Eclipse will replace the head unit if stolen. That simple.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a pretty much complete system minus the sub and HU. I will let it all go for around 400 + Shipping. Email me if interested in the equipment.

OK, You all have a lot of good ideas. As for the purchase, I have purchased a lot of equipment from E-bay and it was all brand-new-in-box. Really good deals. I got my amp for165 shipped and it was brand new. Still in box and retails for around 500. I like to do simple one amp systems. I had a huge three amp system in my old truck with three-way components in the front and 4 10" in the x-tra cab.

If you get a dual power supply amp it will sound really nice when you run the fronts and rears off the front channel or just fronts with rear running off of the deck, and rear bridged to the sub. I used the Lightning audio Strike S4.600.

Shop around on E-bay before buying.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
Eclipse are good quality hu's, i don't like the apperance of them in general but they have lots of features and strong/high voltage preouts for a good price, the only drawback is that if you want mp3 you'll need some sort of add-on commander device that adds this ability, not sure how much it costs but i think it's a good amount of money, and alpine hu's don't offer an mp3 model that is under $200, that's why i suggested pioneer, the built in eq, built in crossovers, sub control, sound focus eq, rotary volume knob, good-looking gunmetal color (although it has green backlights and not red or basically any red on it), etc etc are exceptional for the price. If you don't want mp3 ability though i'd go with alpine, pioneer, or eclipse. Those are the leaders in quality until you get into high-end car audio with the $1000 tweeter and $4000 Nakamichi head units and even more expensive Mcintosh amplifiers. The only bad thing I hear about eclipse hu's are that sometimes theives will just destory the hu because they're bastards and they know the hu isn't any use to them if they don't have the cd, i don't think eclipse will cover a damaged hu, only stolen ones, which is like how some people bolt and strap amps/subs to the floor so they can't be move so theives punch a hole through the sub. I guess you could take it out and say they stole it though? There's problems with all anti-theft systems though, eclipse is probably slighty better. And about rear fill, you could keep your stock speakers in for rear fill and just fade it to the point where it's not conflicting with your perception of where the source is. That's what I do and i don't have any problems. If you have a pioneer hu you can use their features to help too. It's kind of technical and might sound like i'm talking outmy ass but you can adjust the treble in the rear because higher frequencies are directional while low frequencies are not, this means that by "attenuating" the higher frequencies in the rear your brain won't be as "confused" of where the source is at. The sound focus eq feature does this well. It could have been better explained by someone else but bottom line, it does it's job.

- Scott

·
Registered
650 Posts
As you can see, you can get all the info you need from these guys. I know a lil but not like all these other experts. good luck and keep us informed on what you decide!

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
everything i know is from caraudioforum.com , before last summer i didn't even know what amplifiers really did. I had 0 expeirence in aftermarket systems. It just takes alot of reading and asking questions, i'm still learning alot.

- Scott

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, hats off to you for all the info that you've learned, i know to come to you if i have any audio questions. Actually come to think of it ,, I do. I just put my system in and i see on the back of the amp, there are some settings, what should i have those on?

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
03ChromeChica: What amp and what do the setting say? the most important settings on any amp are the gain and the crossover setting. Never have the crossover set above 125hz for a subwoofer. Usualy you want to keep it at about 80hz unless you have speakers that can go lower and therefore you'd want to put it down to about 60 or so. It should also be set on low-pass for a subwoofer. If you have another amplifier for speakers then you'll gernerally want to high-pass speakers at the same point to where the subwoofer is low passed at. (example: subwoofer amplifier crossover is low passed at 65 and the speaker's amplifier is set high passed at 65. If you have the speakers going lower it and playing frequencies that the sub plays it can cause cancelation. For the gains you usualy should keep them under half of the way up. It depends on the amp and the hu preout voltage though. What your trying to do is match the two to the same voltage. If you have the gains set to high then it can distort and hurt your speakers/subs and it can also make the amplifier work too hard and kill it. As far as bass boosts go, you shouldn't use them because it will distort the signal and can damage your sub. Distortion creates extra heat on the voice coils and can burn them up, leaving you pissed.

elemnt92: I haven't heard really anything bad about their hu's. Most don't have the advanced features like built in eq's, time alignment, crossovers, and high-voltage preouts. They are a more user-friendly hu. Never owned one though.

Hope that helps you both.

- Scott

·
Registered
124 Posts
never had any experiance with a kenwood hu, bcuz i've never seen one that really appealed to me style wise. i just wanted to say pioneer premier is the shit. i got the deh-p940mp and i LOVE it. it has everything and more. yea, its a bit pricey, but they lower end models that are just as nice. oh yea, you can find damn near anything on ebay NEW for a damn good deal. good luck on finding what you are lookin for.[thumb]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts