Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium. I'm coming from a 2000 Toyota Sienna. I've had the car for just over 2 weeks and this issue has slowly been creeping up; I can't get comfortable. Regardless of where I have the seat some part of my right leg hurts. I'm not sure if it is the bolster in the seats, a flimsy gas pedal, or just making the adjustment to a different posture. I think the issue is the tilt of the lower half of the seat. If I sit up higher all my weight is at the front of the seat and just behind my knee. If I could tilt the seat forward a bit I could spread the weight across the whole leg.

In any case I was wondering if I'm alone in this problem and if not how did you all handle the situation?

Thanks,

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
It took me a good 6 months to find my sweet spot.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I'm coming from a 2000 Toyota Sienna.
This is your problem. Just give it some time and you'll get used to it. You're basically going from sitting straight up with your feet down to sitting back with your feet out.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm 6'4, have a bad right knee and prefer to be close to the pedals and steering wheel so whenever I drive a car for more than about 2 hours my right leg starts to get stabbing pains from the knee down. I'm not sure if this is similar to what you're experiencing but what I discovered was because I'm close to the pedals the back of my legs are up off the seat so I don't have the support of the seat under them. What worked for me was putting a rolled up blanket or hoodie or something under my leg and it was immediately better.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I think the position just doesn't suit some people well, including myself. I'm at 100k miles (today after work!) and I still fiddle with those seat controls...

·
Registered
289 Posts
The luxury of a larger vehicle (especially one designed explicitly for family comfort) is that you are in a more natural seating position whereas in a smaller vehicle you have to really adjust depending on your height.

I've been in compact cars for years and yet whenever I step out of a larger vehicle to my car I am still usually a little uncomfortable. I've found the sweet spot for me but it took a few months and even then I still get uncomfortable.

The Focus, as with any small car, will not fit every driver comfortably every time. There will always be those who can't get the right spot in any car.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
IIRC playing with the seat height also changes the bottom angle on the new cars like yours as it does on my older one.

So a combination of height adjustment & distance adjustment got me the right (comfortable) position for my legs & then adjusted the back angle to match for the right reach to the wheel.

Not easy to find the "perfect" spot always, one reason I hate it when you have to swap drivers & readjust - always take a bit to find your perfect spot again.

For my own, even the difference between work boots & sneakers requires a different notch on the distance to end up right.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would bet on the "flimsy gas pedal". Got a good laugh out of that.

I found the comfort "sweet spot" almost immediately. 6'1" with short legs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it does sound pretty silly. But the pedal doesn't provide enough push back so my foot just has to hover to hold a constant throttle.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just wish I had more room to straighten my left leg. That stupid hump on the left side of the driver footwell is always in the way. I would be perfectly comfortable if I could straighten my left leg.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am rather short, 5'8", and find the position where my foot rests evenly on the dead pedal area perfect. If everyone in the car were my size we could run five easily, HA! I just need to get new floor mats so it is covered and doesn't get ruined this winter.

You tall guys are insane! My neighbor is 6'2" and hes got the seat all the way back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts