Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.I lowered my svt 3dr on sportlines and did nothing else. How come it wont align? I know there are several others rolling around with just sportlines and they aligned just fine, but i cant seem to figure out why mine wont line up. Im getting inside tire where. The first time i took it for alignment right after the springs were installed and the guy said it lined up fine, now that ive noticed irregular wear and took it back up there he said there is no camber adjustment and claims there is nothing he can do. I need it aligned as i drive 90 miles daily and cant afford tires everytime i turn around.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Toe or camber, you need to know

.I lowered my svt 3dr on sportlines and did nothing else. How come it wont align? I know there are several others rolling around with just sportlines and they aligned just fine, but i cant seem to figure out why mine wont line up. Im getting inside tire where. The first time i took it for alignment right after the springs were installed and the guy said it lined up fine, now that ive noticed irregular wear and took it back up there he said there is no camber adjustment and claims there is nothing he can do. I need it aligned as i drive 90 miles daily and cant afford tires everytime i turn around.
What are your camber & toe spec's? You need to know what they are to figure out what it need's. I'm running the Sportline system w/ no alignment issue's. I don't even have adjustable rear camber bolt's or arm's either, but I do have CFM's FLCA's thou. What tire is get the irregular wear? The guy that do the alignment, say's "it lined up just fine". What's up w/ that? I my self take the time to do alignment's properley, & not= in the green & ship it!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The stock Focus only has adjustment for toe.

Camber requires aftermarket parts.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
theres a sticky at the top of this section with specs to shoot for. the range ford gave for toe isnt specific enough so it could be "within spec" but still eat tires

Reactions: mainest

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front left is at -1.1 front right -1.4 left rear is -2.1 and right rear is -2.1. What do you guys reccommend i get to get it within spec? I have a set of front camber bolts that i didnt use but would that be enough for the front?

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
what are your toe specs? that is what most wears your tires.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
The front left is at -1.1 front right -1.4 left rear is -2.1 and right rear is -2.1. What do you guys reccommend i get to get it within spec? I have a set of front camber bolts that i didnt use but would that be enough for the front?
To quote the sticky:
"Front toe: .01 to .02 inches of "toe-out" but no more (zero toe if you have poly bushings)
Rear toe: .04 inches of "toe-in" (per side)
Front Camber: anything "within spec".... its non-adjustable.
Rear camber: -1.0 to -1.5 degrees (you can go less without problems but some negative camber tends to improve handling characteristics). More than -1.5 degrees and you start to promote inside edge tire wear especially if your toe setting exceeds what's recommended above."

those camber numbers are fine you just need to get the toe to .04 per side

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My toe is at -.08 on both sides and rear is at +.2 so im guessing my toe is screwed? If so what do i need to fix this?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
-.08 what? Inches? Degrees? Makes a big difference. Either way, what you need to fix it is a competent alignment tech.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think he said degrees but idk either way what would be needed to fix it if its degrees or inches?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think he said degrees but idk either way what would be needed to fix it if its degrees or inches?
You will have to ask someone who didn't fail math in high school to figure that one out for you. Granted, since I am no longer 16, stoned or sitting next to a girl with an epic rack my chances of figuring it out are much better now than then, but I think it is a safe assumption that you should find a different place to do an alignment and give them the specs from the sticky.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm having bigger issues on sportlines even with SPC plates, apprently the chassis broke the welds where the top mount sits on the passenger side, adjustment is at max and still -2.86.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts

You definitely need to get that rear camber down. You'll need rear camber bolts or adjustable upper control arms to do so. Camber bolts are cheaper and tend to work fine.

Your rear toe-in should be 0.04 inches or so. If I remember correctly that's about .06 degrees (need to confirm). Most computerized racks can measure toe in inches or degrees if the tech knows how to program it. To make things simple (for now) just have the front toe set to zero as the current settings quoted are really bad. (FYI negative toe numbers = "toe-out" and lots of toe-out is rarely if ever good)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You definitely need to get that rear camber down. You'll need rear camber bolts or adjustable upper control arms to do so. Camber bolts are cheaper and tend to work fine.
I would suggest Moog K80002. They are machined shims (wedges) that fit between the arm and the spindle snout. While not as easy to install as cam bolts, they cannot slip unless your suspension comes apart; at a which point the camber change is probably not a major concern.

If you want to play with your alignment setting for performance purposes, by all means get the bolts or the arms, but if you want to "set it and forget it" I think the shims are a better answer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may just get it within spec or at least close and trade the car in. Tonight my 2nd alternator in the past 5 months went out. I love the car but maybe it just isnt made to be boosted and see 90+ miles a day and at least 1 redline a day. I work for Kia motors and get a discount so i may look into the new forte considering kia has the best warranty in america right now

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I may just get it within spec or at least close and trade the car in. Tonight my 2nd alternator in the past 5 months went out. I love the car but maybe it just isnt made to be boosted and see 90+ miles a day and at least 1 redline a day. I work for Kia motors and get a discount so i may look into the new forte considering kia has the best warranty in america right now
Being the second alt in 5 months definetely not normal, check the pigtail, it can damage the regulator, also where did you get the alt? If regulator is not OEM the ECU won't be able to regulate.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Camber shim

1 degree part number 46-1704 at pepboys for $18.99

Camber bolts at the rear only get you an additional 1/2 degree.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The alternator came from oreillys and it was a remanufactured motorcraft alternator with a lifetime warranty. When i pulled it and took ikt to them for testing it showed the regulator to be screwed cause it was putting out almost 28 volts. I got a new one on now and its running great, just need to get this alignment issue solved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts