Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- new to the forum here, this is my first post.
I want to check to see if the dealer actually changed the air filter which they suggested even though I only have 15000 miles. I unsnap the 3 clamps on top but can only get the top to tilt up a fraction of an inch,don't want to force it. From what I can see the filter looks to be orange color,don't know if that would be OEM or not.
Also what is the plastic gizmo on the side of the filter that sticks up like a handle? I posted this question elsewhere but never got a reply.

Thanks
villasbill

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Once you have the 3 clips off. You have to wiggle the top of housing, towards the battery. Also the handle type thing coming off the intake is party of the factory intake (bellows or resonator). I say get rid of it, get a FSwerks C.A.I and be rid of the cost in replacing them paper filters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Focusalaska. I did try wiggling originally but didn't spend much time on it,something didn't seem right. Am working the next 2 days so I will try it on Sunday.
I realize this is an upgrade oriented site but this is the wife's car so I just plan on keeping it stock. What drew me to this site is that it seems to have the most activity as far as posting. Since the car is new hopefully I won't have to be posting too much for now but you never know.

villasbill

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not a problem. Although alot of us on the forums are performance orientated, we still will do whatever is possible to help out a fellow focus owner. If you ever need any other help concerning your foci, don't hesitate to post a question. I understand the "other guys" forums are not the most friendly or helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried it again today with no luck. It looks like there are two tabs on the side towards the radiator that slide into two slots. The illustration in the Ford maintenance guide looks like the top swings up toward the front end of the car,the battery is the other direction towards the back of the car.
When you say wiggle it towards the battery are you meaning wiggle the 2 tabs out of the slots ? Almost looks like you have to take the hose clamp off to get the top to move.
I am confused here. While I am not a mechanic by any means,normal basic maintenance usually isn't a problem. Don't want to force this thing and end up snapping or cracking the plastic top.

villasbill

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think the problem is that you need a real intake. No more stupid clips to deal with.

But as for your stock intake, there are two or three "finger" on the battery side. Once you un do all of the 3 pressure clips, you have to pull the front of the box up, and then pull it towards the front of the car. Should come right up then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The clips aren't the problem,they unsnap easily. If anyone has a link to a parts schematic that would help me understand how this is put together.
Did they change the design or anything for 2010? By fingers do you mean the tabs I was talking about,they aren't on the battery side on my airbox. On this Focus the battery is near the firewall.

villasbill

·
Registered
1 Posts
villasbill, I'm trying to replace the filer on my 2010 Focus and am having the exact problem you are describing. Did you ever figure out the solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never did get an answer or figure it out. I like to replace air filters myself but I just had the dealer do it when I got an oil change.
Doesn't really cost a lot for them to do it and wasn't worth the risk of me breaking the housing trying to force it open.
Good luck.

vb

·
Registered
1 Posts
Villasbill--- My husband and I did it! Like you, we couldn't figure it out at first. We were afraid we'd damage something if we used too much muscle. But after a while, my husband figured it out and did it himself. I was right there holding the flashlight for him, so I saw the whole thing. No, the "Fingers" are not the three clips. Unlatch the three clips, then if you look on the right side of the air filter "lid" you will see that it's attached there, too, but not by a clip. The lid on that side is attached to a bracket by what I will call inserts. They're flat. Meaning, nothing to lift up or down, but towards you (if you're standing in front of the car) then left. Just grab the lid and slide it forward and then out. (Gosh, kind of hard to explain.) You know how when you insert a shelf onto a metal strip that is screwed to a wall? Let's talk about that for a minute. When hanging a shelving unit, you have to first screw the metal strip with many slots onto the wall vertically. (The slots allow you to choose exactly where you want the shelf.) Then you take the shelf and insert into one of the grooves in the metal strip you just screwed to the wall. Or think of your fridge. Those shelves, too, have the prongie things so you can insert the shelf into whatever groove you want. Those prongie things is what I think that guy in the earlier post called fingers. So look at your air filter lid to right and you will see this set up. Grab the lid and wiggle its prongs (or fingers) out of the inserts. Again, towards you, then to the left. Voila! Now the lid is free. Then just lift it. Don't be afraid to use a little muscle, but also be careful as to not pull too hard. You do NOT need to detach anything. Just lift it up and a little to the left. You will make enough room to remove the old filter and add the new one. Then make sure the filter is in place. Insert the "fingers" back in their slots (there are only two, but it's one movement), snap the clip in front first, then the one on the side, and the one on the back. Hope this helps!!! I hope this makes sense.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Did anyone try disconting the rubber "inlet" that attaches the air filter housing to the throtle body? i know on other cars i've worked on i just take the "inlet" off and it makes it way easier to take the air filter housing lid off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts