Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why, but I can't find procedure for removing grill and removing stock headlight assembly on 2003 ZX5.

Tired of polishing and using protectant on the yellowed lenses every week. It is time to replace the assemblies and be done with it.

If someone could point me to some posts on replacing the 2003 headlight assys, I would appreciate it. All I find is for the 2008 ad it is no where similar.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's nice that Focus Hacks did that write up, but without some kind of photos, not much help to me. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can figure any of it out from the write up.

I did use clear coat from Duplicolor last year and it did last longer than the sealant and wax, but only lasted a few months. Eventually had to sand it all off. Sealant from Blu Majic was not very good at all. Even after using it every week, yellow came back.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
so you are talking about replacing the whole headlight correct? You should just be able to look at the grill and headlight bolts staring at you. I believe the grill has 4 and the headlights have 3? One of the bolts for the headlights is underneath the car. If you would like I can take some pictures of mine tomorrow to show you want needs to come off.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkI section, might find more help here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FreeFocus,

I can see the four screws that hold the grill and three screws on top of the headlight assy. If you could just point your camera underneath and take a shot of what I need to look for, that would help. If not, I will eventually find it.

There are so many listings for these entire assys, anywhere from $80 a pair to over $250ea. Anyone bought some that you could recommend ?

RockAuto has them for $40ea.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
I will when I get home tonight for you. If you just want to stay factory then go with rock auto for your headlight assembly. You can go aftermarket with projectors or halos, if that's the route you want to go.

From what I have heard RockAuto is the way to go if you want factory replacement, which I assume you want. They have good quality items with good brand names. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I want to stay with the factory look.

Thanks for your help.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412721710.149460.jpg

Ok so you can see that black bolt that looks to be right above the turn signal connector. That is what you need to take out.

Car is lowered 2 inches so a picture was difficult to get sorry. This gives you am idea where it is at. Just crawl under right in front of the wheel and you will be able to see it. Open the hood to get some light in, if that helps.

Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FreeFocus and xxMichaelAnthony,

You guys are great. I see the black bolt and this entire process looks easy. I just didn't know if the grill had to come out and how to do it and where that bottom bolt is located.

Since the 1AAuto did such a good video and the assy looks just like what I want, I am going to order it from them for $106 for the pair.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked with CFM and the right one is out of stock with no delivery date.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got new headlight assys in the mail yesterday. Ordered the pair from RockAuto and got the TYC brand. Tried to get the Depo brand but everyone is always out of stock on one side.

Will get them installed soon with photos.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got them installed. Not that difficult. Took about a hour to do both.
Had trouble removing the driver side turn signal bulb from the grill, so had to just unplug the connector. One of the three indexing tabs would not let the socket out of the grill housing. Someday if I have to replace the bulb, will have to break something to get it out. You twist them counterclockwise to remove them from the grill.

Everything went together except for one thing. On the passenger side underneath, the car body mounting bracket hole would not align with the headlight tab. It was al least 1/2 inch off, so just left it out. Could not even bend the metal tab enough to get it closer. The top mounting screws are holding it plenty secure. Drivers side was fine.

Was surprised that the wire gauge in the OEM was so small, looked like it could be 20ga or so. The TYC looked to be around 16ga.

It was good to see that the bulb clamping mechanism is just like OEM. I have read that some brands have changed the way the bulb is held in. Not that I am a fan of the OEM clamp, but I find that I change the bulbs without removing the entire housing from the car.

Waited until it got dark to do some adjusting. Both sides were way off. You can't use these out of the box. By the way, they came double boxed from RockAuto, very nice.

OEM
[/URL][/IMG]
TYC
[/URL][/IMG]
No headlights
[/URL][/IMG]
New installed
[/URL][/IMG]

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Mmm yeah I like those headlights a lot more. Do away with chrome!

Looks good. Glad you could find a pair.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just came back from a short drive. As it stands now, I would suggest that you stay away from the TYC brand. These look pretty, but are junk. The driver side is pointing all the way over to the passenger side of the road. While driving, it looks as if there is no driver's headlight out front on the road at all,just illuminates the immediate 10ft. There is no side to side adjustment on these, but I am going to have to figure out how to correct this. I checked the seating of the bulb and it is seated fine.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
That bad huh? There has to be a way to direct the lights. It could be that you didn't get that side bolted down.

That darker color isn't as reflective as the chrome is.

Are the headlights sitting level on the bumper and all that?

Any better with the brights on?

Look up the brand and see what they say about it.

Post some pictures to help.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything is level on the bumper and mounting tabs are all tight to the body.

See what you think about the photos I just took. The last photo at about 50 feet, at the center of the photo there is a bright area where both headlights are on top of each other.

There is a dark area to the left of it and that should what the driver's side should be lighting up.

I can adjust the driver side down and then it is just below the passenger side spot. This is the crap we get from overseas.

at 5 feetIMG][/IMG]

at 15 feet
[/URL][/IMG]

at 50 feet
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts