Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm wrong about this, please let me know but I'm under the impression that Sync's turn-by-turn/fantasy baseball stuff/vehicle health report, etc are all US-only features that Canadians, like myself, can't enjoy up here. That sucks obviously but I guess we'll have to make do with it.

I'm an Iphone user and I'm wondering if any Canadians have resorted to using a phone-based ap for their GPS needs? Any recommendations?

Maybe we should all call and complain to Ford Sync about the lack of Canadian support for some of these features. Maybe I was foolish but one of the things that pushed me over the edge toward opting for Sync was hearing about turn-by-turn when I originally googled it during our purchasing process. It wasn't "make or break" but I saw it as a feature, already wanted it for other reasons, and it kind of sealed the deal. I was disappointed when I learned on here that it (and some other cool Sync features) were US only.

Anybody have any good GPS ap suggestions that work well with their new Focus?

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm an Iphone user and I'm wondering if any Canadians have resorted to using a phone-based ap for their GPS needs? Any recommendations?
There's NAVIGON for IPhone but it's $$$. Our '06 Mazda5 didn't have a Nav so just bought a portable one - a Garmin Nuvi 1490T.

·
Banned
571 Posts
I have Nav in my Focus but b4 that I was using Navigon on the iPhone. Worked very, very well.

Edit, just checked, it's $59.00 Canadian in the Apple store.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was using MotionX GPS Drive and it worked great.

·
Banned
571 Posts
That program doesn't store the maps internally does it? Up in Canada, our data plans are so shite we need the maps in the unit. Not to mention that the GPS won't work unless you have a data signal or luckily have the area in cache.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ahh.. you're right I don't think it does. My bad

·
Registered
444 Posts
From what i heard its not ford with the decision to not allow the sync apps in canada.

its our government not allowing them. I have no idea if this is true or not, regardless it sucks

I just use google Maps on my droid Atrix. google maps now lets you save a 10mile radius of specific areas. so if i am going somewhere and i won't have data. i just download that area over wifi and its saved to the phone.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That program doesn't store the maps internally does it? Up in Canada, our data plans are so shite we need the maps in the unit. Not to mention that the GPS won't work unless you have a data signal or luckily have the area in cache.
I'm using Navigon too and it works great. Don't need a data plan and the accuracy and instructions are nice too [thumb]

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I use MapQuest on my iPhone since it is free. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a paid app from a Garmin or a Magellan or whatever but still gives turn-by-turn voice directions. It doesn't store maps but I believe it does cache to some extent. Don't quote me on that however. I am not positive.

As it is a free app, why not try it out?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have Navigon, TomTom and CoPilot Live all for North America. I'd rank CoPilot Live first, Navigon second and TomTom third.

If you are looking to buy right now CoPilot Live is on sale this week only (so act quick). The US maps/app are $9.99 for iPhone $14.99 for iPad and Canada is unlocked by an in-app purchase for another $4.99.

If you watch, all of them go on sale from time to time, I picked up Navigon at half price a few months ago. Web sites like appshopper.com are great for tracking sales and easily pays for the $0.99 for the service.

Navigon has a rather bland interface, but it is universal (runs on iPhone and iPad without having to purchase separate copies and extras). TomTom is ok, but expensive and the extras were the most expensive as well. But, you wouldn't go wrong with any of the three.

·
Registered
90 Posts
confused

Wait...what?!

Are you telling me the Navigation system I ordered doesn't actually...direct me?! So what did I pay $700 for?

Maybe I am mistaken or read this thread wrong. Are Sync and Navigation two separate things?

I have a Titanium on order.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wait...what?!

Are you telling me the Navigation system I ordered doesn't actually...direct me?! So what did I pay $700 for?

Maybe I am mistaken or read this thread wrong. Are Sync and Navigation two separate things?

I have a Titanium on order.
You are mistaken. They are referring to the Sync system turn by turn directions, not the navigation system you ordered.

Don't worry, your navigation system works fine (at least when the whole MFT is actually working).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just use google Maps on my droid Atrix. google maps now lets you save a 10mile radius of specific areas. so if i am going somewhere and i won't have data. i just download that area over wifi and its saved to the phone.
There's also a built-in navigation app (called Google Navigation), at least on the base android OS (not sure if Atrix has some 'flavor' of Android). This actually gives a turn-by-turn navigation instead of google maps. From what I heard, you only need to put the from and to locations and uses the actual GPS chip (not internet) for directions. Problem is that once you start driving outside of the directions given, you'd need data for the nav to reroute you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You are mistaken. They are referring to the Sync system turn by turn directions, not the navigation system you ordered.

Don't worry, your navigation system works fine (at least when the whole MFT is actually working).
Huh? My nav system in my Titanium gives turn by turn directions? What is this Sync turn by turn thing?

·
Registered
90 Posts

Phew! Thanks. That was one of the features I was explaining to the wifey and she liked that idea of it.

thanks!

There's also a built-in navigation app (called Google Navigation), at least on the base android OS (not sure if Atrix has some 'flavor' of Android). This actually gives a turn-by-turn navigation instead of google maps. From what I heard, you only need to put the from and to locations and uses the actual GPS chip (not internet) for directions. Problem is that once you start driving outside of the directions given, you'd need data for the nav to reroute you.
Yes, if you're using an Android phone then the built-in navigation is awesome. I really wish Ford used google maps inside their cars. It's the best GPS app out there that beats a lot of in-store GPS devices.

·
Registered
210 Posts
hmmm...i might just bite the bullet on this. Will this work well on a iPhone 3GS?
Using Navigon on 3gS 4.3.3 and it works perfectly well.
The google search option is what I like best when I need to find something and I don''t know the address.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts