Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my candy apple red 2012 SEL delivered mid-August (August build). It is a canadian verions with DRL's. Noticed that when the light switch is in the off position, the DRL's are on as they should be, however all the parking lamps are also one with the green parking lamp indicator on the dashboard is on. Going to the parking lamp position on the switch, the parking lamps remain on as well as the green indicator, but the DRL;s go off (which I did not think was allowable under canadian law, however this allows for putting on the fog lamps with the DRL's and headlamps totally off). Moving on to the on position, all lamps come on, both parking as well as headlamps. Finally the auto position does switch between DRL and full headlamps depending on the outside light, however again, the parking ligths as well as the green indicator is always on as it is in any lamp switch position. Tried another SEL at the dealership and it exhibited the same behaviour. Do other Canadian Focus owners see the same behaviour?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, I see the same behaviour with my SE. The green lamp indicator is almost useless because it is always on. Also, I wish the car icon in the LCD gave a better indication of what lamps are on or off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same here! The green indicator is always on and the car icon always shows lights being on. It would be far more useful if these only indicated when the headlamps and parking lamps were on outside of the DRL.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yes, you are correct, they are all like this in Canada.

I believe it is Scandinavian running lights. Sometimes you see Volvos and such with all their lights on all the time. Such is the law in some European countries. I'm guessing that perhaps Ford couldn't be bothered to have various levels of running lights, so they just gave us the one that pretty much has all the lights on all the time... or Ford thinks Canada is a Scandinavian country... [facepalm]

At first I thought it would bother me, but then, it's just the lower tail lamps, and those tiny little orange corners up front... and yes, you can ultimately drive without running lights if you put the switch into parking light mode, and you can use your fogs then... So perhaps it isn't all bad (although consider that it is illegal to do so).

I wonder if there is a setting to configure North American running lights, versus Scandinavian.... there was on my VW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts