Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got another question about Canadian headlights I could use some back up on, my dealer is telling me the symptoms are normal for all cars with DRLs, but the loaner they gave me functions differently (and correctly, imo) compared to my car.

There are 4 settings for the lighting knob. Off, parking, on, and automatic.

In canada OFF will still run your headlights as DRLs.

Parking, will turn on your corner amber lights and tail lights. Headlights are OFF.
(Presently this setting instead turns on my dashboard instrument lighting, headlights remain ON)

On, turns on all headlights and running lights with exception of fogs. (Works fine)

Auto. I could use imput from owners here, when my car is set to auto it refuses to let me turn on my fogs by pushing the button without first turning the dial back to ON position. In the SEL loaner, I can turn the fogs on using the button regardless of what setting I'm in.

Also when my Titanium is set to Auto, and you kill the engine using the off button, the car will beep to remind you your lights are still on once you exit the vehicle. Lights must be reset to OFF when leaving the vehicle.

In the SEL loaner, the lights remaining on for approx 15seconds then shutdown. Car can be left in auto all the time.

If the lights must be reset to off, there's hardly a point in having an auto setting. There's no tunnels here, I never use underground parking and I never drive from say into sunset.

The next two buttons icons seem like they would control the brightness of the instrument panel, but they don't seem to do anything. I will have to consult the manual and compare once again when I get my car back.

I could use your help guys so when I pick up my car later today I can present valid facts.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
In Auto mode, I cannot turn on the fog lights either. In Auto mode, in daytime, I cannot have the high beams stay active. It will only "flash" if I pull or push the stick. Only if I switch to "On" I can have them stay active during daytime. But I have them stay active when it's dark while in Auto mode.
If I have the fogs on and activate the high beams, the fogs are shut off by default. It does not the viceversa though (high beams on and turn fogs on --> high beams off -- like my Cougar did)

And yes, I can let the lights to Auto and get off the car without any problems (or beeps); after 20 seconds the lights turn off. I do use the Auto mode on my car all the time so I don't see why you would have a problem with this.

P.S. I don't have keyless entry or/and start.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its an issue with keyless start, you can kill the engine with the button but the key is still in the car. Maybe it's beeping telling me not to forget my keys? Even if they are in my pocket. It seems to shut up after I kill the lights though.

What model is your vehicle?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
232 Posts
On your dash go to settings/lighting/delay and make sure your ti is not set to manual (i think that is what it is called). Setting the delay to 15 seconds or whatever you choose should allow you to shut off the car and get out without the headlight reminder going off as the car will then turn of the headlights at the delay setting you chose. That is how mt ti works.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Do you have the beep when you have the lights on the "On" mode. Can you test this ?

Mine is a SEL (17" full loaded like a Titanium but without 18", keyless entry/start and stiffer suspensions). With the roads condition in here, SEL is best fitted in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
On your dash go to settings/lighting/delay and make sure your ti is not set to manual (i think that is what it is called). Setting the delay to 15 seconds or whatever you choose should allow you to shut off the car and get out without the headlight reminder going off as the car will then turn of the headlights at the delay setting you chose. That is how mt ti works.
Yes, I have mine setup to 20 seconds delay. Check what Superd said.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can test it in the loaner but my car is in dealership right now. Can anyone confirm that the 2nd setting, "parking lights" will kill the headlights and DRLs?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I can test it in the loaner but my car is in dealership right now. Can anyone confirm that the 2nd setting, "parking lights" will kill the headlights and DRLs?
Posted via FF Mobile
Yes. It kills mine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can only use fogs while in auto mode if auto has your headlights on. If auto thinks you don't need headlights, it won't let you toggle fogs.

At least that's how it seems, this morning when it was dark out I could toggle fogs while in auto, but now that its light out it won't let me toggle fogs anymore.

What are the two buttons to the right of the lighting knob, I don't have a manual in the loaner vehicle to check their function.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also is there a foolproof way to trick the car into turning lights on? The sensor is that black bulb thing in the center of the dash right against the window? I threw the window sticker up there but it wasn't dark enough I guess. Maybe cardboard or a rag or something.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Mine is OFF = everything off. Haven't checked about fogs but I don't think I can toggle them. First setting is parking lights, fogs can toggle. 3rd is all lights on, fogs can toggle. 4th is Auto, can only toggle fogs when Auto has lamps set to on. I have a US Spec, so I don't have DRLS at any point.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe there is a built in delay for the auto light sensor. I think it needs to see "darkness" for more than a few seconds (maybe 10 or so) before it toggles the ehadlights on.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On US spec car: Do you have a green headlamp icon on your dash all the time, or only when the lights are setting to certain position?

In canada it seems like it's always on, because some from of light or another is always on.]Posted via FF Mobile[/i]

·
Registered
967 Posts
You can only use fogs while in auto mode if auto has your headlights on. If auto thinks you don't need headlights, it won't let you toggle fogs.

At least that's how it seems, this morning when it was dark out I could toggle fogs while in auto, but now that its light out it won't let me toggle fogs anymore.
Posted via FF Mobile
Why would you want to turn on your fog lights when it's not dark? [dunno]

Oh and if anyone wants to fool the light sensor for some reason, you could use a simple sheet of paper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The two buttons to the right are for adjusting your dash/radio light brightness. I pushed them a ton of times before I found out they have an auto feature as well, mine was set to auto by default. You have to go into your settings and uncheck the auto (IIRC) so you can manually set the brightness with those buttons.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not saying you would, just that the ability to do so is removed, since some people are saying they can do it while others say they cannot.

The window sticker, folded in half wasn't enough to fool the sensor. I'll try something thicker and darker and leave it there longer.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm not saying you would, just that the ability to do so is removed, since some people are saying they can do it while others say they cannot.

The window sticker, folded in half wasn't enough to fool the sensor. I'll try something thicker and darker and leave it there longer.
Posted via FF Mobile
Really? weird - my sales guy did it with a regular old 8x10 piece of white paper he got from his printer to demo the ambient lighting on pickup day.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Really? I can - weird.
As MGbox said, I can do it too when it's dark. But not in the daylight.

Why would you want to turn on your fog lights when it's not dark? [dunno]
I don't know how it reacts if I want to have the fog lights when it's smog outside though (and Auto mode set). Daylight or not.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well we went around the lot comparing to others, thankfully they have a few Titaniums on the lot now. Mine seems to be the odd one out, although they don't really know what to do for it and will just keep an eye out for a bulletin.
I was unable to recreate the chime that keys are missing so I will have to narrow down when that happens and bring it up again next time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts