Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing some looking around on how to import a Focus from Europe (I'd love to have the TDCi engine).

While looking, I stumbled across the Canadian Ford site (http://ford.ca).

Odd thing--they're promoting the Focus as getting 4.8L/100KM. By my math, that puts the car at 49MPG (american).

It looks like Canada has the same engine--so why the massive difference in fuel economy?

·
Registered
425 Posts
the 4.8L/100 km is for the SFE model, the regular one with the 6 speed auto is 5.2L/100km I believe. Stick is 5.4.

These numbers are notably higher than the EPA ratings, but yes it is the exact same car. Basically it boils down to testing procedures.

I'll use my old Vibe for an example - when it came out in 2003, the EPA rated it at 30/36 mpg. When they revised the testing procedure in 2006-ish, the 03 Vibe was updated to 28/34. I still got 38-40 out of it though :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think your math is right - it's the testing methods.

The (Canadian) SE sticker that I have seen shows 5.3L/100km and it also says 53mpg - looks mighty good! But of course that would be per imperial gallon, not US gallon. 5.3 L/100km is equivalent to 44.4 mpg US.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That's a big pet peeve of mine. I don't know why we use imperial gallons up here. Or miles per gallon at all for that matter. If you're going to MPG, at least use the US gallon in North America than potentially skewing people's perception by using a different unit :/

Everything for our cars that comes in gallons is the US gallon. Washer fluid, wash soap, antifreeze, etc.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Was doing some looking around on how to import a Focus from Europe (I'd love to have the TDCi engine)....
Hmm... as much as I love diesels... the BASE Focus in Germany with the 95ps TDCi costs 20k euros.... that's over $28k US. And if you wanted the 163ps model it would run you over 26.5k euro.

Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 9 of 9 Posts