Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, was wondering if anyone had any advice. We have the one Foci in Ti trim now, because power driver seat was seen as a necessity, and are considering another Foci in the future. Is it possible to get a Canadian SEL in the US? I really want a manual, but wouldn't mind the additional features. For the most part the car's have same safety equipment, and the research I have done shows same environmental.

I have a friend who did it with a Hyundai to get it loaded up with features but still manual, but her dealership did all the work. Anyone have ideas/ suggestions on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey all, was wondering if anyone had any advice. We have the one Foci in Ti trim now, because power driver seat was seen as a necessity, and are considering another Foci in the future. Is it possible to get a Canadian SEL in the US? I really want a manual, but wouldn't mind the additional features. For the most part the car's have same safety equipment, and the research I have done shows same environmental.

I have a friend who did it with a Hyundai to get it loaded up with features but still manual, but her dealership did all the work. Anyone have ideas/ suggestions on this? Thanks.
Yup... they are the exact same car with the minor exception of the speedo dial and the daytime running lights.

I'm moving to florida within a year or so and taking mine with me. You need to fill out a bit of paperwork though and get some letters from ford. It's actually not as daunting as it seems. Do some research on it - you should look up department of transportation and the environmental protection agency for exactly what you would need. You'd probably also need to pay duty on it since your not coming from canada, but are importing. Oh and keep in mind our money is worth a little bit more then yours so it will be much more expensive for you on top of the duty.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There should be no duty between Canada and the US, (free trade) and the car was originally made in the US.

Hopefully the car meets California spec. which all BC cars are required to.

You might even be able to get away with the speedo change as the car reports in both Imperial and Metric. They might require a speedo faceplate change which shows the MPH in larger digits with the KMH in the smaller digits.

Other then that it should be really easy as long as Ford is willing to transfer the warranty. I know in my sales agreement that I signed I was not permitted to export the vehicle for 2 years, or sacrifice my warranty, however you are moving south to reside, and will keep ownership of the vehicle, so this should not be a concern.

·
Registered
967 Posts
There should be no duty between Canada and the US, (free trade) and the car was originally made in the US.
In order for there to be no duty to exist the product has to be 100% american / canadian. A Focus is not one of those items. Lots of items from all over the world go into it's manufacture including the paint and even though it was assembled in the US it says right on the window sticker it is not INTENDED for sale there - as an american buying and importing there WILL be duty.

As I said earlier, as far as the government is concerned the car is 100% identical other then the drl's and speedo and they make an exception for that - you won't have to change anything on the car. The MPG and such have US settings and the speedo is the exact same, only the KPH is big and the MPH is small.

Also, Ford will honor the warranty anywhere in Canada or the US.

The biggest issue DarkKnight would face is cost. At the current exchange rate and including his duty, a car in the early $20k on his bill would likely cost him around $30k in reality. He'd also likely have to pay upfront. Thankfully in my case I don't have to worry about any of those issues as the US Government makes duty free car exceptions for visa immigrants from Canada bringing their own ride.

Anyhow, like I said - research if interested. Personally unless you're in a situation like mine I don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
blackraven to where in Florida are you moving? Sorry to threadjack!

·
Registered
967 Posts
blackraven to where in Florida are you moving? Sorry to threadjack!
Jacksonville. Im going to marry my gf who lives out there with her family. Its a nice clean little town so I think I'm going to enjoy living there.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've imported quite a few vehicles over the past years (but Southside to Northside). There won't be any duty on the car, but you will be required to pay your state taxes.

It will be quite easy to import the car, just need to get all the paperwork together.

However, as Blackraven said, although Ford says they honour the warranty throughout US and Canada, you might have some issues as the car explicitly states that it not intended for sale to the US. You might be able to get around this by buying a used car '12 Focus (many ways to buy a new car as used).

Of course Blackraven also has a different situation as he was living in Canada and is now moving to the US. He should have no problems as the original intent of the vehicle was for use in Canada.

Best bet is to contact both Ford Canada, and Ford USA and discuss this. Get it all in writing too, just in case down the road........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts