Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a cluster with tach to my car but don't want the mileage to be off if I replace it.The dealerships say they can't sync the cluster from a junkyard cluster, so I'm curious if it can be done on your own.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, Seriously....

Either go back to the dealership and talk to a supervisor or find a different dealership... I got the same answer from the one where I live.. I had a 00 4-dr SE no Tach, bought a cluster from a ZTS off of ebay and I went to another dealership and they said it was no problem.. I don't remember what the cost was, it wasn't that bad I know that much.. Some places just don't want to be bothered and some will help out tuners... You just have to find the right place..

[thumb] [thumb]

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
I personally watched someone install a cluster with a tach, into an SE without one, and he didn't have to do anything. The mileage was correct as it had ever been, the mileage I think then is stored in the ECU and not the little LCD display screen.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
wrong. it is in the display. nice try though and thanks for playing.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
I'm not going to get into an argument in here about this, I personally (as in with my own eyes) watched a cluster swap from a non-tach cluster to a tach cluster with no adjustment, the mileage was precisely as it was prior to the change. The car was a 2003 SE w/zetec but had what appeared to be an SPI cluster. After the swap from a 2002 ZX3, the tach worked, and the mileage was correct.

·
Registered
109 Posts
RPIJG

[confused] Im sure the last thing anyone wants is another forum Flame Fest, and I am not sure how or why that may have happened unless the person got the cluster with the same milage by some freak chance or had it set somewhere. But in all seriousness I have the actual Ford Factory service manual. (the one the dealership uses for the cars ) Anyway, the millage is stored in the clusters memory not the ECU. I did one back in the day, and the cluster with out tach had like 29K the cluster with tach had like 31K so I just said the heck with it... It's not less so who cares?? Like I said, no one is arguing the fact that you saw that, but the cold truth is while the ECU more then likely stores the millage, the cluster doesn't get it's millage from the Ecu, it has it's own memory...[paranoid]

[thumb] [thumb]

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Yeah I don't want a flamefest, maybe the signal is different for newer cars. I watched this change with a 2003 as I said, maybe the newer cars do it differently, I don't know enough about this, the worst that can happen is you plug it in and it doesn't work, the best it does and you are good to go.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
RPIJG said:
I don't know enough about this
and i do, so don't pm me saying i am wrong. if you don't know, then that is ok, just don't argue. the only reason i am, is i am right and don't want to see someone have a 100 dollar problem on their hands. much less have the car titled as one with no odomiter disclosure statement. that would about total his car out and you could care less.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
llama_in_a_focus said:
and i do, so don't pm me saying i am wrong. if you don't know, then that is ok, just don't argue. the only reason i am, is i am right and don't want to see someone have a 100 dollar problem on their hands. much less have the car titled as one with no odomiter disclosure statement. that would about total his car out and you could care less.
I'm not going to go into this with you. As I said, I have watched this change out, I asked the person about it, they did no modification to the cluster whatsoever, the 2003 had 13K the cluster that went into the car had 26K before it was changed. The cluster read 13K when it was swapped in front of my eyes, no adjustments or trickery. I don't know enough about the possible differences between the model years, not about what I saw. Llama if you want to be rude about this feel free to be, I find your manner and attitude extremely childish and immature.

·
Registered
798 Posts
llama_in_a_focus said:
nice try though and thanks for playing.
Ok that was really childish.

It's not in the actual display, it's in a little box that you connect to the display. If it was in the actual display then it would display the milage from the previous car.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
i always say that! i think it's kinda funny, like david spade. and after the pm you sent me rpijg, you don't hjave much room to talk.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
The PM may have been rude yes, but at least not an affront to your intelligence or even worse in a public area. Had I said that in this thread perhaps I would be at the same level, but I didn't. I kept the thread on topic, and didn't lessen its value by throwing in smart aleck remarks that bear no light on it.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
but you told him how to have a 100 dollar mistake on his hands. confusious say, is better to shut the heck up when you are stupid than to talk and screw somone over. i am now done. i was right, and i will no longer return to this thread. the question has been anwsered right by me and a few others and wrong by one person with no one backing him up. too da loo ya'll

1 - 15 of 15 Posts