Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you go to have a svt dyno tuned, i have a powerworks sc, and i wanna have it dyno'd and whatever power can be extracted from it. Just go somewhere that has a dyno jet? I dont understand the whole tuning process, ive only done the custom tune thing with the diablo predator before the sc.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Has to be someone that can tune SCT or Diablo and you will need to purchase the SCT or Diablo module for them to use.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i have the diablo, ill look around and see what is here

·
FF Affiliate
30,979 Posts
I would also find some one that has done many SVT Focus with boost , they all will say "sure no problem" but many have never done a Focus and try to tune them like a Mustang

I do about 1 engine a week from tuners that knew what they were doing just not on a Focus

Tom

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want you to tune it tom, and im willing to drive up to you from florida, i just dont have very much time with work, im off on wed, and thurs. Id have to drive up tues night and have it done on wed.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so do you think next wed. would work? If so ill make arrangements to come up.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom i went to the track tonight, and ran, i wont post my times because they sucked. I data logged while running the track, and the predator told me that i had misfire on cyl. 3? What would be causing this? I ran slower than i did before the supercharger! And my car ran like crap back to the house, i didn't think id make it back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What plugs and Gap are you running? Pull the plugs and take a look at them see what they tell you. You may need to just tighten the gap a bit. Try 0.045" then go from there.

Jersey

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have them at .040" now, i brough them down from .045", it ran like crap at .045"

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
factory coil and wires, motorcraft i think

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think the point is that unless the plug in #3 is gapped way different than the others, that is not going to be your problem. Why don't all of them misfire, then, if the gap is too large?

·
Registered
456 Posts
What plugs did you put in?

Take them out and carefully inspect them ... all over, but especially the porcelain. It is VERY easy to crack the plugs during installation.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are autolite platinum's i believe from autozone.

·
FF Affiliate
30,979 Posts
I dont agree i have all my customers use the AZFS22C in all my turbo kits and no one makes the power my kits make and have yet to have any issues

The Zetec (ZX3) and the SVT DO TAKE the same plugs both have the same threads and have a .980 reach granted there is a factory heat range Diff but this will NOT cause an engine failure or cause any issues

There is NO WAY a Spk Plug caused an engine failure , More FJ misinformation

Tom

·
Registered
456 Posts
Make sure at least the plug reach is the same. My 1st Autozone trip for spark plugs gave me plugs that were too short of a reach (just compare them side by side with your originals - from the seat to end of the) based upon the part numbers they had for a SVT in their system.

When I took them back, I had them spend 5 min on the phone with HQ or Autolite or someone figuring out which ones were supposed to be right. I left with the proper reach plugs, but after measuring the heat range wasn't right (to hot) compared to the OE plugs. They still sit on the workbench ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
1turbofocus said:
I dont agree i have all my customers use the AZFS22C in all my turbo kits and no one makes the power my kits make and have yet to have any issues

The Zetec (ZX3) and the SVT DO TAKE the same plugs both have the same threads and have a .980 reach granted there is a factory heat range Diff but this will NOT cause an engine failure or cause any issues

There is NO WAY a Spk Plug caused an engine failure , More FJ misinformation

Tom
I beg to differ here. Improper heat range can cause an engine to be more prone to detonation as the electrode heats up and can act like a glow plug (or even completely melt off). Just because a plug fits in the hole, doesn't mean it is the right one. Spark plug manufactures spend millions of dollars designing and testing plugs. Do you really think they would do this if one plug fit every application?

Jersey

·
FF Affiliate
30,979 Posts
ALL plugs glow on the wire meaning they all heat up the wire(part that sticks out over the top where you gap the plug) to the point it could acts like a glow plug

In my opinion you would have to be running FI with 10psi or more and about 6 to 8 heat ranges to the hot side to cause deto just from a plug

If a plug melts off this is caused from improper tuning not the plugs heat range , excessive Cyl temp causes this from either to much timing or lack of fuel the heat range of the plug would be of no help in this case meaning a cold range or hot range would of both melted under these conditions

The Diff in the heat range of plugs isnt in the wire it is in the amount of visible porcelain inside the plug under the wire this is the area that can glow and cause deto under extreme conditions

The reach on both the ZX3 and the SVT is .980 this is how long end of the threaded area to the seal area is on the Focus Zetec plug is

I dont remember saying one plug fit all , I do a lot of testing for some plug Co back when Autolite came out with there new AR series we did a lot of testing for them there was even an artical in a few Mag with our dyno showing what there new plugs did over the old ones as well as in Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords where we did a plug test with the new AR Autolites

One plug does not fit all but with the Focus and the SVT the AZFS22C works great

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts