Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Ford Focus ZTS automatic.

Ford dealership says the steering fluid leaked onto the a/c compressor and the a/c compressor burned up because of the steering fluid leaking onto it.

Is that even possible?

Also my old car used to have a steering fluid leak and after a while you could tell because the steering would get real grindy and you could just feel that it was rubbing.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Leaking onto the AC, I can see it happen (not sure on the Zetec, but on the Duratec, its right below the PS)

As for it causing to burn up, I don't know about that. The AC compressor is a sealed unit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I tell from the VIN what engine it has? It's at the shop right now so I can't just go out and pop the hood.

I'm thinking if it leaked enough steering fluid to burn it up that we'd feel the steering wheel grinding and stuff.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well our VIN doesn't have either Z or V in it at all.

But we went to the Ford dealership and got the warranty transferred so it will now take care of the transmission problem! We just have to pay 2k to repair the rest of the car. Ugh.

·
Registered
467 Posts
yes your ps pump is right above the ac compressor and it could have burned up the clutch on the comprssor or the fluid could have damaged the front seal on the compressor unlikely but possible but with enough fluid the clutch could slip and it could burn up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts