Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody explain how Zetec works for me? Is it similar to Vtec only Fords version or what. I have not been able to find a good explaination of it anywhere.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LMAO So Ford named it Zetec just to give it a sound similar to Vtec to pull in the compact crowd. Sounds like something Ford would do.

Thanks I didn't know if Zetec was a anacronym (sp) for something or not. So Toyota and Honda are the only ones with some sort of Variable Timing Control then?

Thanks.
Now I feel stupid.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Honda and Toyota are not the only automakers with "Variable Timing Control". It just so happens Mazda uses a form of VVT on their version of the 2.3L Duratec engine in the Mazda 6i. And what do you mean by,"Sounds like something Ford would do"? Makes you sound like you dont like Ford. Oh well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I wont go there. I am not much of a Ford Fan. I would not have bought the Focus if it wasn't for its European ties. And it truely was the best buy for the money. Options and performance wise. So I bought it. And what do you know. I actually have fallen slightly in love with my car. Its to bad she is already in the body shop after only having it for a month cause of bad driving on other poeples part. But I will have it back soon enough. I do gotta say. These little cars sure can take a hit. I was extrememly suprised by lack of visible damage. Although repair estimate is still $8,500. Hadn't even gotten its first oil change yet. I was headen to the store to get parts and oil for it when it happened. Such as life goes i guess.

But yeah you got me. And I am sure poeple will flame me for not being a Ford Fan. But I am sorry. Its just the way it is. Truthfully I am a die hard Toyota and Jeep fan. If I could have afforded the Toyota that I wanted I would have gotten it. But given my current economical standing just couldn't happen.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I don't know the specifics on the origin of the zetec, but it's inpart of europe and cosworth and such, and actually was *before* the vtec. Again, just a name. Also, 8500? Your car wasn't totalled out by your insurance company? Jebus. The LX sedans' value should be enough to total out a car. anyways... welcome aboard and enjoy your new focus.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since it was a brand new car. They didn't total it. It was less then three weeks old. The cost of repair didn't equal the sale price. Although we do have gap and I was hoping they would have. But they didn't.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What was damaged? I wish some old lady would gently bump into the front of my car so I could get her insurance to pay for a new CF hood and body kit =0. Did you go with OEM parts or aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
cosworth made the original zetec engine... there was an enormous argument about this a while ago... i told everyone that zetec was around longer but some dude didnt believe me. oh well ... its not made by cosworth now but ford and cosworth are partners and elements of the original cosworth zetec are used on our zetec.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
exactly what elements does our I4 share w/ a V10?

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
who said anything about a V10 ? Cosworth has designed 4 cyl and 8 cyl engines for many decades.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
inline_engine_lover said:
actually the Zetec name come out a long time ago. i believe it was on 10 cylinder racing engines. so actually it's older then VTEC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
vtec is an acronym for a technology that they use on some of their engines. I forgot what the letters stand for.. Basically all it is is variable valve timing. The zetec does not have it. zetec is the name of the engine. Other companies use vvt such as toyota, daewoo (e-tec) and chevy (eco-tec i think). I guess ford just borrowed the name from the other engine that these guys are talking about. If you want to learn how vtec works, just go to google.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thanks. I know how Vtec and VVT-i works.

To answer a earlier question. I was forced to go with all stock parts. They wouldn't let me get anything aftermarket for warrenty reasons. I didn't feal like argueing and losing the funds to fix the car so I said just fix it.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
VTEC = Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control

The SVT has variable cam timing on intake camshaft only.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really?!?!? So what are some of the other differences in the SVT motor and ZX-3 which was going to be another question but I guess I can ask it now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts