Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 SES Duratec ATX, 120k miles, excellent shape, old guy driver, maintained on time.
Started car this AM. Leave condo garage, after about 20 sec notice oil light on. Not on level ground, so circle back to garage to check.
Oil filter and all engine oil sitting in the parking space. Don't know if it was there when car started it, or if it came off after I started engine.
Last oil change was 5k ago. Car as been very reliable. Trusted shop came, put on a new filter and oil, drove it to the shop to inspect.
Filter appear to have gasket compromised/compressed, but we can't figure out how it would have spun itself off and just dropped on the floor.
Car was driven last night for 30 minutes at highway speeds up to 75. No lights or issues at that time.
Theories?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
If the filter threads were incompletely formed they can blow off, the key would be an explosive mess with spatters, if just oil pumps out neatly I'd be exploring who in the development you have pissed off. Somebody needed to closely look at the filter threads.

If tight to begin with they do not unscrew, the norm being to get tighter, the gasket swells up from exposure to petro distillates.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
someone took it off... any cameras??
I thought of this, but I seriously have no enemies. If somebody did it, it must be a random thing, and I would expect there are a lot of cars that would be easier to vandalize, and easier crimes to commit. Heck if I'd want to crawl underneath a low car and get dirty!

Anyhow, I just did a 60 mile round trip and car runs excellent. I'm worried there could be some damage, since the engine did run for about 1 to 1.5 minutes apparently without any oil. Albeit slowly and under low load. Still, makes ya nervous...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Honestly, unless the threads tore out, I can't imagine how a filter could come completely off the mount all at once.
If it worked loose, you'd have massive oil spray all around the filter area long before it fell off completely.
Hopefully your development has cameras that may have caught the culprit.
If he's caught, proper restitution would include the full cost of an engine replacement.
There's no way to tell the extent of the damage without a complete teardown.

The only thing I hate worse than a thief is a vandal. At least a thief is seeking some sort of gain. SMH

·
Registered
494 Posts
Once I did an oil change and didn't realize that the filter gasket stuck to the block. So when the new filter was installed, I had a double gasket. It held up for about 15 miles then blew out while my wife was driving. She was smart enough to pull over right away when she lost all oil pressure and she coasted into a parking lot. I did an oil change right there on the spot and cleaned up the big mess. Learned a lesson that day always to check for the gasket on the removed filter.

I didn't have any engine issues for as long as I owned that car following the event so no damage was done.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did report it to management although I don't think there are any cameras in the vicinity. There were some recent report issues of things taken from unlocked cars.

Honestly, unless the threads tore out, I can't imagine how a filter could come completely off the mount all at once.
If it worked loose, you'd have massive oil spray all around the filter area long before it fell off completely.
Hopefully your development has cameras that may have caught the culprit.
If he's caught, proper restitution would include the full cost of an engine replacement.
There's no way to tell the extent of the damage without a complete teardown.

The only thing I hate worse than a thief is a vandal. At least a thief is seeking some sort of gain. SMH

·
Registered
980 Posts
2010 SES Duratec ATX, 120k miles, excellent shape, old guy driver, maintained on time.
Started car this AM. Leave condo garage, after about 20 sec notice oil light on. Not on level ground, so circle back to garage to check.
Oil filter and all engine oil sitting in the parking space. Don't know if it was there when car started it, or if it came off after I started engine.
Last oil change was 5k ago. Car as been very reliable. Trusted shop came, put on a new filter and oil, drove it to the shop to inspect.
Filter appear to have gasket compromised/compressed, but we can't figure out how it would have spun itself off and just dropped on the floor.
Car was driven last night for 30 minutes at highway speeds up to 75. No lights or issues at that time.
Theories?
If the oil filter was completely off when you started it the oil light would never have gone off (it should be on when you turn the ignition switch to ON and go out within a second or two of starting). Who did the last oil change and what brand/model filter was used?

Paul

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the oil filter was completely off when you started it the oil light would never have gone off (it should be on when you turn the ignition switch to ON and go out within a second or two of starting). Who did the last oil change and what brand/model filter was used?

Paul
I don't know if the light was on when I started it but I noticed it on about 20 sec after start. Last oil change 5k miles ago, local independent shop I've had good experience with, Napa filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts