Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife today, who is quite possibly the worst driver ever backed my 2012 focus into a trash can at the end of the drive. Hitting the passenger side mirror. The black plastic trim around the glass has a large chunk now broken off of it. Is this "trim piece" able to be removed and replaced or is the mirror one solid piece. If it makes a difference I have the painted mirrors with turn signals and heated. Sorry for the generic picture but that's the area that broke off. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Look in FordParts.com for a stock parts listing.

When I saw the title I was hoping it was a mirror since I've seen info. on replacing them.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Can you find the missing bit? reattaching it with glue would be the least problematic.
One could also buy some 'metal' epoxy (which is a similar color, but still a plastic epoxy strength material. And reform the missing area crudly, then file down the rough parts. It would not be perfect, but generally acceptible to the average person. (It would take some skill though, and probably a good idea if you had already done something like it.)

I doubt that the individual plastic part cound be obtained from Ford. The next best would be to buy a junkyard mirror, from any similar mirror, and take off the trim ring and replace yours. It may NOt come apart, and someone would need to find a way to take it apart. They may be glued together, or sonic welded, or heat welded?

or you could cut a bit off the salvage part, and trim the original, and glue it together. Again skill is a factor there.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's a great idea!

PC-7 is a good solid sticky epoxy you can get at the hdwe. store. It's dark grey to black & can be shaped well. I've used it to hold a lot of hard to glue plastic pieces together, nice because you can build it up for reinforcement.

If all else fails...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It's a one solid piece, you can only take the mirror cap off.
I remember when I got my mirror caps color match painted.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
So my wife today, who is quite possibly the worst driver ever ....
You have a wife...and you just wrote that...

At my house, that would have just initiated the 30 day celibacy program....

That's if I'm lucky.

Unlucky would be if she turns me into a eunuch...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Geez was that trashcan cemented in place? LOL, sorry. I hit my house with the drivers side one and cracked that same piece. I had the car for about a month when this happend. <SMH>

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has your wife wrecked every car she has ever driven? Mine has! Her first husband, bless his heart was the best body man in Oklahoma. And she wore him out. I think she was part of the reason he drank himself to death. Other wise she is a angle. A blessing to mankind if you remove cars from her life.

05 Accord EX after she backed into a boulder as big as a house.
Before

After

09 Civic Hybrid after she rear ended a pickup with a extended stinger at 65mph. A miracle the car did not explode and massive death to follow.
Before

After

My 65mpg commuter car ruined. :(

My 07 MZ3. She does not drive it! And it still looks like the day it was new.

Well other than when I was rear ended in OKC by a OU Staffer lady in a SUV with her cell phone stuck to the side of her head. If I had not seen her coming and dropped the clutch and just pulled second after being at a stand still at a red light. She would have killed me. Lady drivers.

The new Focus. She has only driven it once!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine doesn't drive my car at all, she only has the right to sit in the passenger seat. She knows it.
same here [cheers][cheers]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hadn't let her drive it until we had our first child. Getting him in and out of a car seat in her little 2 door was too much of a PITA plus it was saving miles on my car she only has a 5 mile commute to and from work whereas I drive 65 miles daily to and from work. And according to her she just "tapped" the trashcan with the mirror. (Rolls eyes)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Has your wife wrecked every car she has ever driven? Mine has! Her first husband, bless his heart was the best body man in Oklahoma. And she wore him out. I think she was part of the reason he drank himself to death. Other wise she is a angle. A blessing to mankind if you remove cars from her life.

She sounds like my wife! We have had over 30 cars in the past 15 years. The only one she has not wrecked was my 03 mustang only because I never let her drive it.

She hasn't wrecked the fusion or the new focus either but we have only had them about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have forwarded the comments to the respective wives...
The husbands involved in badmouthing the wives will soon either be sleeping on the sofa, or sleeping with the fishes...
[histerical]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Awww... y'all are in twubble! [smackbum]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts