Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run an 02 svt in a circle/dirt track and dont really like the 6spd i was wondering if there is a 5spd like out of a zx3 that would bolt up? Im pretty sure itll bolt up but what would i haveta do regarding clutch/flywheel...Any suggestions would be nice or has anyone tryed this??

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
you will need clutch/flywheel for a MTX-75 and the shifter linkage i beleive (if you get a 02.5+ MTX-75 the linkage might be the same, or atleast you can use the shifter base/assembly)).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the flywheel out of the 5 spd will bolt up to the svt crank? I guess thats my main question...Also if it does will this help out reving up my svt seems to rev up slow until like 5k which i was thinkin a lighter flywheel would help is the 5spd flywheel any lighter than svt... will i need to swap axles too? what about slave cylinder will the line hook up the same? Its prolly gonna be in my best bet to get a parts car for this huh??

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
slaves the same(im pretty sure it is), axles are different.

5 speed does have a lighter flywheel(by like 2-4lbs i think), but if your talking in gear taking for ever to get to 5k rpm i would say get a tune.

a light flywheel will make the car rev quicker in neutral. and maybe a little faster in gear for loosing 12lbs rotational mass (aluminum 5speed wheel is 8.5lbs stock svt i think it 24lbs.)

and i believe the flywheel bolts up. the SVT is a zetec thats been tuned very well from factory.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
If you can put a 6 speed on a Zetec, you can do the opposite. You will need a tune since your speed will read off. You also need the MTX75 trans harness too.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
can't you just get the VSS and reverse pigtails and wire them into the stock harness? if the ECU pin-outs are the same then swapping the harness will be better.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Thing is when I've looked into the 6spd swap on a Zetec no one really went into detail on the harness. They just said you need it, they didn't say if the plugs to the main engine harness were the same or not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Trans swap...

Not trying to hi-jack your thread but I asked the same question in another forum with no responses, heres my dilema.. I will update you on the progress..

Ok, As some of you know I race an SVT on short track in Maine, I am looking to swap out the 6 speed for weight and ratios. I am looking for a 4.06 final drive. I know Tom said they came in contours but, he said the trans will not fit. What contours, years and models or trans numbers?? I am also looking to add an Lsd or a spool.

Also I picked up a modded zetec, with cams gears and t-body, i am hoping to trade off towards SVT cams, gears, lsd etc.. Right now its a spare motor for my car and unless i can find parts to replace them I just as soon leave it complete..

FRED

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
The MTX-75 5-Speed will work in an SVT. Dillion Van Way of VanWay Racing races in the Global RallyCross series and 2WD WRC with a Turbo 5-speed SVT. I'll see if I can get his pit crew chief's input on this since he did the work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it would probably be much easier to find a wrecked or a blown up zx3 so i have all the little parts i need... Vadim if i end up doing the swap i wouldnt be opposed to selling the 6spd but it wont be until i get the everything rounded up to do it so might be awhile

1 - 12 of 12 Posts