Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2013 Ford Focus SE 5spd Manual White Hatch
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I have a 2013 Focus that needs a vapor canister and I ordered a non-PZEV (Partially Zero Emissions Vehicle) canister from Rock Auto since there where no badges on the car advertising my Focus is a PZEV. However, once I crawled under my car, I found out my Focus is indeed a PZEV.

It looks like the part will bolt up without issue, however, will the ECU know the difference and will the car still pass an emissions test?
(My state does not do the sniffer test on vehicles with a GVWR of 7,200Lbs and lower.)

Thanks!

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see Motorcraft has two different part numbers, for PZEV or not. There must be a reason why.
Yes, there is a difference, but I'm not 100% sure on what the differences are. I may be mistaken, but I think the PZEV canister has charcoal in it while the non-PZEV does not.

If the ECU doesn't care and it won't fail an emissions test, I'll install it, otherwise, I'll have to eat the cost to return my canister to Rock Auto.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe your car is not really PZEV and someone put the wrong canister on. VIN lookup may be unreliable, but there must be some way to verify.
Its a possibility, I'm the 2nd owner, purchased it with ~62,600 miles, currently at well over 162,000 miles.

I'll give my local dealer a ring on Monday and see what their system pulls up.
I'm also half tempted to just throw it on and see what happens.

· Registered
19,091 Posts
ALL 'carbon' canisters have charcoal in them. The PZEV one may just have more.

I'd look at the valving for differences. If the hookup is the same I would try it.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. So I was doing some searching and remembered I have a Ford service manual for my Focus. After digging in there, I found this.

"NOTE: The EVAP on a PZEV (partial zero emissions vehicle) is similar in appearance, but unique in design and is not interchangeable with a non-PZEV canister."

So it looks like I cannot use a Non-PZEV canister on a PZEV Focus, according to Ford at least. Bummer!

Edit: I will still ring my local dealer to make sure my Focus is indeed a PZEV incase the previous owner installed the wrong part. As bcat suggested.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not know what the differences are, but what sort of symptoms does the car have which makes you think the evap canister is bad?
My Focus has a hard time starting after filling up the gas tank. I have to hold the throttle open for a bit after starting, otherwise it will not stay running. It also is throwing the codes P1450 and P0171. To my knowledge, it looks like the EVAP system is sucking fuel off the top of the tank and dumping it straight into the intake manifold. My experience with some Saturn vehicles, the vapor/charcoal canister is the culprit, so I thinking the same here.

Yes. thinking a sticker under hood or the VIN confirms it. Look at door jamb stickers too.
I looked under the hood at the emissions info sticker and sure enough, it says my Focus is a PZEV.

· Registered
2007 Focus 2.0L 4 door sedan
23 Posts
I agree, the reason I asked was because I think the charcoal canisters themselves don't really go bad.
As I understand, one thing with a PZEV car is that it starts the purge cycle earlier than a non-pzev car, so it will be more likely to suck in raw fuel. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I think that is one difference with the PZEV setup. The issue might also be due to a bad or leaky fill valve in the gas tank, which allows gas into the evap lines after filling up.
FYI, I have a PZEV 07, and have a similar issues with my car after replacing the gas tank with a used one. It sometimes stalls after filling all the way up- meaning until the gas station pump shuts off. It is a bit clumsy, but I just try to estimate how much gas I need and try not to fill the gas tank all the way. In my case it seems i have to fill it about 1/2- 1 gallons below capacity. I tested the purge valve, and it seemed to be OK and held vaccuum. There are a few factors involved, and in my case I think it is a faulty valve in the gas tank, though I could be wrong about that. For now, I just try to not fill the gas tank all the way.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I overlooked that you had codes. In my case, I have no codes.
It seems it can indeed be the purge solenoid.
check this vid:
Thanks for the video, very informative. I will definitely check out that purge valve.

The only concerning thing he mentions is the catalytic converter and how they seam to go out at 80k to 90k miles. I'm currently sitting at 163,000 miles on the original converters.

· Registered
445 Posts
I don't know much about the EVAP system.

But I know that the purpose of PZEV was to create a pollution free car, or at least partial zero emission. One of the criteria for this was to design a whole new fuel system, that didn't leak gasoline vapor, like what they did to the gas pumps. So the PZEV fuel system is suppose to make you car not emit gasoline fumes, so your garage doesn't smell like gasoline all the time. They did this by changing the materials used to form the fuel lines. Added a charcoal canister to absorb gasoline fumes, and I think this charcoal canister also takes any liquefied gasoline and returns it to the fuel tank as well, when a certain criteria is met. This is where it gets complicated to me in understanding the EVAP purge system, or the reverse operation of the charcoal canister.

I don't think your original problem is related to the charcoal cannister personally, and sounds more like the ITC valve if your model has one. A little valve that lets additional air pass into the throttle body on startup. Something related to the air intake system on the engine. I would suspect that you just happen to have an EVAP error code, but attacked the codes registered in the wrong order off your diagnostic reader.

Reactions: Joe Mason

· Registered
107 Posts
As the title states, I have a 2013 Focus that needs a vapor canister and I ordered a non-PZEV (Partially Zero Emissions Vehicle) canister from Rock Auto since there where no badges on the car advertising my Focus is a PZEV. However, once I crawled under my car, I found out my Focus is indeed a PZEV.

It looks like the part will bolt up without issue, however, will the ECU know the difference and will the car still pass an emissions test?
(My state does not do the sniffer test on vehicles with a GVWR of 7,200Lbs and lower.)

Thanks!
As everyone knows, don't try to get extra gasoline in the tanks after the fuel gauge looks full. At least I don't. Technicians on the Internet are saying fuel gets into the charcoal canister and they end up replacing them. I read all of the comments on here and one was related to a fuel return hose to the gas tank. So far so good I haven't needed to replace mine. 😀

· Registered
445 Posts
As everyone knows, don't try to get extra gasoline in the tanks after the fuel gauge looks full. At least I don't. Technicians on the Internet are saying fuel gets into the charcoal canister and they end up replacing them. I read all of the comments on here and one was related to a fuel return hose to the gas tank. So far so good I haven't needed to replace mine. 😀
Probably how I damaged mine. I was stuffing extra gas in the tank on the way home from Vegas cause it was so cheap.

Reactions: Joe Mason
1 - 20 of 32 Posts