Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really would like to swap the engine in my 2013 titanium for a 2.0 Turbo off a 2013 ST.

Is this possible?
What would I have to change to do so?

Thanks in advance :)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea, you could & you'd want the suspension & brakes along w/ the trans. Possibly some of the wiring & pcm. Have you thought about the price difference in a used st & what your car is worth?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the motor for 2k (6000 miles) however, I was told my titanium had the performance suspension I just need to change the disk on the breaks to a bigger size. As far as the transmission goes, could I not use the one I have?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'd suspect if you use the ST's pcm and the Titanium's transmission, some logic may not work. Shift light / reverse sensing / backup camera come to mind.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Engine & Trans swap section.

You didn't happen to mention trans type.

Automatic (DCT) won't work with the swapped ECU/Wiring for sure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's doable. The thing is, do you have the money or knowledge to do it yourself?
If you have the money, would it be easier to just trade up?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd say to do it right you'd need :

the wiring harness from the 2.0T along with all the computers

the trans from the ST (sure, a stick shift 5 speed would work, but c'mon...)

suspension from the ST ( sure, it would run fine on a N/A suspension, but c'mon...)

The ST has a lot of different stuff in it than just the turbo. It definitely would NOT be a plug-n-play swap.

Older, non computerized cars are easy. Take a 89 S10 truck and drop whatever carbureted engine you want into it. Beef up the other components, and bam- you're off to the moon. Honestly, for the time, effort, hospital bills, and costs of equipment, and quarters in the swear jar you'd probably be able to buy a new GT mustang and smoke the an ST anyways.

If you are looking for a "sleeper", It would be so much more easy and cost-effective to buy an ST and stick Titanium front/ rear bumpers and skirts and spoilers on it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mechanical I can do, paint I can't.
I started a thread in the engine swap section putting together info on what this swap will actually take, but nobody has posted in it lol.

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
I'd say to do it right you'd need :

the wiring harness from the 2.0T along with all the computers

the trans from the ST (sure, a stick shift 5 speed would work, but c'mon...)

suspension from the ST ( sure, it would run fine on a N/A suspension, but c'mon...)

The ST has a lot of different stuff in it than just the turbo. It definitely would NOT be a plug-n-play swap.

Honestly, for the time, effort, hospital bills, and costs of equipment, and quarters in the swear jar you'd probably be able to buy a new GT mustang and smoke the an ST anyways.

If you are looking for a "sleeper", It would be so much more easy and cost-effective to buy an ST and stick Titanium front/ rear bumpers and skirts and spoilers on it.
^^^This, especially when anything involving computers is involved.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lemme take a sec to apologize if i seemed like i was doubting you in any way. If you've got the brains, braun, and green to do it, by all means, captain, go for it.
the only things i see that is a must have, granted the computers and harness comes with that motor, is a damn good schematics book for the N/A and the turbo, and a 6speed transmission (or equivalent, as long as it fits and works). If you don't get the trans, all i see happening is many many gear/flywheel/trans parts being replaced and a bunch of horses you cannot use. Please keep everyone updated!!!

P.s ford racing sells the 2.0T but no harness or computers come with it for 8 g's.. So even of you get the motor and put it on a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] gokart you are still getting one HELL of a deal.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I'm not sure the transmissions will swap between the two motors. You would probably need the ST gearbox.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am fairly certain the bellhousing bolt pattern on the ecoboost and NA are the same.
I have wiring diagrams for the NA and ST and they are almost the exact same. Ford racing sells the harness and computer for an extra 1k. I see ST motors on craigslist for about 2k though and trans from 500-1k. Thats asking price not selling though.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'm not sure the transmissions will swap between the two motors. You would probably need the ST gearbox.
For sure you'd want to use the 6spd st trans.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I actually read some kit car forums saying they preferred the mtx-75 over the mmt-6 (I believe that is the designation) because the gearing is better for autocross.
That very well could be. And you could possibly have more gear ratio options.

·
Registered
368 Posts
That very well could be. And you could possibly have more gear ratio options.

But if you aren't autocrossing, then the 6 speed would be the way to go. For enough money you could get Ken Block's fiesta trans, but does not mean you should. I just see the extra hp and torque of the 2.0T turning a stock lil 5 speed trans into a blender

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
But if you aren't autocrossing, then the 6 speed would be the way to go. For enough money you could get Ken Block's fiesta trans, but does not mean you should. I just see the extra hp and torque of the 2.0T turning a stock lil 5 speed trans into a blender
I'd throw the 6spd on board. Yea you could use a $20,000 6-spd sequential Xtrax trans. The mtx75 will take a lot of punishment & you can get different gear ratios.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Weak spot is the Diff. spider gears, putting enough power down you'd want an LSD anyways.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I doubt a stock st engine or even hopped up a little bit would "destroy" an mtx-75 unless the driver misses shifts all the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts