Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a temporary thing. Have a car that was hit in the front. Bent the lower control arm... pushing the CV joint into the sway bar link. Got the spare tire on and it has enough space....for the tire at least. Can I dis connect the sway bar for long enough to drive it a few miles down the road?

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, a lot of Foci don't come with rear sway bars, not sure about the fronts tho.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ur camber may be off. watch ur turns.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
To disarm a bar you only need to disconnect one side. People who race (autocross and track) do this frequently as some courses don't call for a lot of bar (sway control).

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Yes you can disconnect it. Drive slow and take it easy, you've prolly got some decent damage on a lot of stuff there. Do not drive it more than you need to.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
It'll be fine. I had a broken end link for a long time I didn't know about.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.... I'll try it. If I disconect one side......the sway bar is solid....if it's still connected on the other side.......won't it stay in the same position on the disconected side? Is it easy to remove the end link and sway bar?......by easy I mean....parking lot easy.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Removing the endlink is easy. I believe it is a 14mm nut holding the endlink stud. There is another nut of sorts you must hold on the other side of the endlink stud to turn the nut off. They are locknuts so you will just turn the whole stud trying to get it off without holding that back nut still. I believe its a 17mm. Removing the swaybar on the other hand is a bit harder. You have to basically almost drop the front subframe to access the bushings holding it in.

You can just disconnect one of the endlinks though and be fine. The bar won't do anything then as it has to be connected to both sides to work properly. It will get you home anyway.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
If it is stock you need an Alan wrench and a 15mm wrench, Remove one endlink and then you are fine. Drive a bit home.

I always used an Impact wrench, works faster and don't have to hold anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts