Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i was wondering if i could turbo my SVTF at home in my garage this winter. custom bend the pipes and everything. would buy new turbo and intercooler. has anyone done it them self????? and how hard would it be. plz let me know would i would have to buy and what i wouldent. because i really dont want to spend like 2000$ on a kit. it would be more fun to do it myself.

plz let me know
thanks
seth

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
you could, but you would be re-inventing the wheel here...... no matter what, the wheel is still round, and no matter what kind of wheel you make, theres one that you could buy that would be better....

by the time you have all the parts, and start buying everything, it would have made much more sense to just buy a kit...

dont mean to sound like an ass, but its jsut my .02

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
you'd best buy a turbo book from amazon.com...
read up on the matter, educate yourself, then you'll have a much better Idea of what needs to be done.

I would definately purchase the turbo manifold, and tuning, those aren't things you could do yourself easily.

you COULD buy turbo's an universal intercooler piping off ebay, but why go thru the hassel to save a few hundred, when you could buy a kit that's known to produce numbers at $x,xxx price.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
I agree with matthewstetz 100%. Your best bet is to buy a kit that is all set up for your car. If you dont go with a kit you take a good chance on missing up your car. And then it will take time and money to fix it. Besides most kits are set up to get you the most out of your car.
But yes it is something that you probable could do over the winter. But your best bet would be stick to a turbo kit. That is just my opinion....... good luck on what you decide to go with.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You "could" do it....... but after messing with mine I say [:)][:)][:)][:)] it... get a kit you'll be better off.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
plan on spending more than 2k... you might save some money 'doing it yourself' initally, but you will still need to spend some time tuning it, and that's not cheap. Not to mention the things that will accompany your power boost, like new clutch(es), etc..

Turbo is a great power adder, but its not for the 'faint of heart', nor the 'light of wallet'

It would suck to spend all winter building it up, then blow your motor due to a bad tune or trying to run without.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thanks for all your help guys i think i will just save this summer and them when winter comes get a kit and have it ready buy nexted summer.

thanks for all the imput
seth

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...My $.02, you're not going to get much for $2000...And if you don't want to even spend that good luck...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, with a proven kit, you're going to know the right and wrongs, a kit you throw together, no one can help you. I bought one of the last kits Tom made and after doing that, I'd NEVER try and build my own kit.

If you're ever in the Baltimore area, or want to make a trip, I knwo someone that can make you a kit. He's AWESOME! He did my custom 3" exhuast and its a shame you only see the tip. He is going to do my intercooler piping (I have an IC already) and he's only charging me $250! He told me a while back he'd do a kit for me using a t3/t4 for around $2000. Of course, you still need tuning, predator, MAFia, injectors and thats in the $1300 area. Still for around $3500 all said and done, you're lookin pretty good and its not a thrown together thing. For an example of his other work....he had a Skyline motor in a Nissan Hardbody truck, Skyline motor in a 240 and he now has a late 90's 240 (the S14 style) with a Nissan Titan V8 crammed in it. He's VERY GOOD at what he does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts