Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have 2 Alpine R-12s in a single sealed enclosure powered by a JBL600 amp. The specs on the subs say that they are 300rms (each) and the amp is 600 watts (I thought max). The thing is...I have my amp (gain) turned up 1/4-1/3 or the way and my (stock) stereo up at about 13 (goes to 30). That (to me) leaves a lot of room for another sub.

I was thinking of getting a 150-200rms 10in (no brand yet) and adding it into the system (in its own box of course). Any intelligent suggestions are appreciated. I don't want to overload the amp[eek], but like I said, it seems there is plenty of juice left to spare for more sub output.

ps. I'm the first to post here (other than administrators)....the new site is neat!! The coolest thing is, it bypasses the "no chatting" firewalls at my work. hahahaha[8D]
[offtopic] I know, but had to do it...the new smileys are great![nutkick]
[bootyshak[whip]

·
Registered
309 Posts
I remember there was some discussion a little while ago on mixing sub sizes the same way you want to (10" with 12s). I can't recall the end of it, but most people said mixing is only a good idea if they are farther away in size from each other, like adding an 8" to a 12".

Well, try a search on the old forum, it was within a month or two at most.

·
Registered
571 Posts
how many channels is the amp? from what you said i'll assume 2.... that makes wiring in a smaller sub a little ackward. if your two subs are wired to the 2 seperate channels, you'd want your new sub to be larger (power handling wise), so that you could bridge it across both channels. if your two subs are already bridged (or on a mono amp) then it depends on if you're goin series or parrallel. parrallel would be better, but be damn sure the amp can handle the low resistance. if its series, i would think you'll lose too much power with the extra resistance to make it worth it. Um, you're comment about the gain and volume not being all the way up, thats not really gonna be relevant here.... the gain is really just to match the output level of the deck to the amp ( like your gain is gonna be lower on a deck that has .5V rca out puts than a deck with 2V rca outputs) its either set properly, or its not, theres not really any room to play. If the gain is already set properly, then you wouldn't change it adding (or removing) a sub. If its set properly, then its set properly, dont touch it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I would say go for it. The amp will take it. The JBL amps are amazing for multiple subs. You just seem to be unable to stop them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts