Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
CTS-V sounds Like your choice.
More like my choice......The OP is looking at awd turboed four's. See he mentioned GTI's, Why not a ST in there also.

·
So mote be it
8,908 Posts
Thanx Stephen for throwing that out there. K/W is a top quality suspension company & yea the v1 & v2 c/o's ride great.
These are actually going to be plug and play with the electronic dampening in the RS, so you can retain the in car, two mode selection. They havent been released yet so no real world comments on if the normal mode is more comfortable and track mode is still up to par with the oem track mode. Seems like it will be similar to v2's but with the electronic, in car control.

Litchfield is the UK company that will be distributing these KW's there, they make it sound like its a great improvement:
https://mk3focusrs.club/litchfield-kw-suspension-upgrade/

That video there showing KW's test rig is pretty cool. I suppose if i was spending $40k on an RS, spending another $2-3k on the suspension is just a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ride Improvement with 18" Daily Driver Setup

Went with an aftermarket daily driver setup consisting of TSW Chicane (18 x 8.5, offset 43) and Michelin PSS 265/35 ZR18's. No rubbing or fitment issues encountered after aggressive testing in dips with turns and hard braking. Running 32 PSI F/R (cold) with TPMS system disabled via Forscan and Bluetooth OBDII Mx adaptor.

Noticeable improvement in ride. For track days we switch to OEM forged wheels with Cup2's and 40PSI F/39PSI R (cold).

Car still tends to pogo quite a bit on certain roads.

JacobZ06

Reactions: RonMaiden

·
So mote be it
8,908 Posts
Went with an aftermarket daily driver setup consisting of TSW Chicane (18 x 8.5, offset 43) and Michelin PSS 265/35 ZR18's. No rubbing or fitment issues encountered after aggressive testing in dips with turns and hard braking. Running 32 PSI F/R (cold) with TPMS system disabled via Forscan and Bluetooth OBDII Mx adaptor.

Noticeable improvement in ride. For track days we switch to OEM forged wheels with Cup2's and 40PSI F/39PSI R (cold).
Thats a meaty tire, I'd actually be curious to see the performance difference with your new 18's on the PSS's vs the 19's and the cup2's. Tirerack lists the 235/35r19 cup 2's at treadwidth of 7.5", which sounds narrow (the PSS's in that same size are listed at 8.7") Either way, tirerack lists your new PSS 265/35's at 9.8" tread width, lots of extra rubber on the road.

Just curious if the super sticky cup 2's(but more narrow) can still beat out a much wider PSS. If tirerack's measurements are right, its its a difference of 2"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats a meaty tire, I'd actually be curious to see the performance difference with your new 18's on the PSS's vs the 19's and the cup2's. Tirerack lists the 235/35r19 cup 2's at treadwidth of 7.5", which sounds narrow (the PSS's in that same size are listed at 8.7") Either way, tirerack lists your new PSS 265/35's at 9.8" tread width, lots of extra rubber on the road.

Just curious if the super sticky cup 2's(but more narrow) can still beat out a much wider PSS. If tirerack's measurements are right, its its a difference of 2"
I expect the Cup2's (at their recommended pressure) would be superior but I could be surprised. Much stiffer sidewall than PSS, more heat resistant and a lot stickier. Interestingly, the Ford Performance Racing School RS cars use PSS tires, not Cup2's. They replace the tires every 3 days. That said, the larger PSS setup provides phenomenal handling and improved comfort as a daily driver street tire.

·
So mote be it
8,908 Posts
Interestingly, the Ford Performance Racing School RS cars use PSS tires, not Cup2's. They replace the tires every 3 days. That said, the larger PSS setup provides phenomenal handling and improved comfort as a daily driver street tire.
If replacing tires every three days, I can think of at least one reason they use the PSS; price. [:)] Cup2's are listed at $350/tire vs the PSS's at $260.

Glad to hear about the PSS, they are on my short list of tires once I burn through the rest of my stock rubber. Although, I'm only looking at 245/40's on an 8.5" rim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

JacobZ06
Is there a specific reason you have TPMS disabled?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a specific reason you have TPMS disabled?
Although I had sensors for all 3 sets of wheels/tires, I was fed up with seeing TPMS Low Tire warnings on the dash. I was running at 32/32 PSI on the PSS setup. I didn't want to get into the habit of ignoring warning lights in the car. So I disabled TPMS. Also, who knows what the RS nanny software does to performance AWD settings if it thinks it has a low tire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

JacobZ06
I wonder how this would ride with something int he same stock width range, like the ST 235/40 R18s...? Softer than the 19s, do you think?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts