Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone, well i just bought an 2003 svt this past wednesday but still havent gotten it from the dealer. they are paintin the front body kit and waitin for the damn title to get there. anyways the point is that i have always loved focus', especially the 2 door hatchbacks. What can i expect from my new svt. should i change the stock audiophile radio to a 1,600 watt system? should i add a cold air intake? what should i add to it ? what can my svt do performance whise? what cars out there can it beat on a race? anyone that helps me out with some knowledge of my new svt, i will greatly appriciate it.

it does have a Wings West Avenger Full Body Kit, altezza tail lights, altezza front head lights, exhaust and regular focus rims. where can i get cool looking gauge faces that turn on red at a good price? should i add underbody neons and if i do since the car is black, should i add red or white? what tyo of gas does it run best on and what type of gas should i not put in it. is there any club i can join that gives me a cool decal for the front glass? where can i get cheap but good accesories for my new car?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
first thing should be a tune imo... cold air intake you really dont NEED.. on an svt.. but it always helps.. theres not many bolt ons that will help that much.. but i would reccommend an underdrive pully, and a tune from wayne

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Ohh boy, this again.

I would recommend a short throw shifter and rear engine mount.

A tune from Wayne, I would not recommend.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
matthewstetz said:
why no tune from wayne?
Wondering that myself??? His tune was the single best N/A mod for my car.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Leave the stock radio... it rocks

Cold Air Kit is a nice add-on, I love mine

A hi-flow cat (random technology is what everyone uses) is a great power adder and sounds nice with the stock exhaust.

Short-throw shifter and upgraded rear mount stiffen things up and make the car feel more solid.

UDP's arent really that big of an improvement, and some folks have issues with the alternator using them. (Mine work fine, but I didn't pay for them, came with car)

Get an aftermarket tune only after you've gotten used to the car. Once you are used to the way the car feels on the stock tune, you'll be able to appreciate an aftermarket tune better, and give better input to your tuner about what you want tweaked.

There are plenty of cars that can beat you, and plenty of cars you will beat. It all depends on when, where, what speeds, and who's driving.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
lol.. waynes the best from what ive heard... as soon as i have some money to spend.. ill be getting an xcal2....

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
You can expect a fun car to drive, that handles good and is pretty quick. You can also expect the catalytic converter heat shield to start rattling. As far as modifying it, my favorite current modifications are my throttle body and short shifter. So I recommend those. Dont bother with an intake first, I found it's useless. I hear good things about tunes too. Have fun with it man.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Basics to do that won't break the bank:
Tune (I got mine from Wayne, and I am very pleased with it)
Short throw shifter
Rear Engine Mount
Re-gap your spark plugs to .060 (you don't need a new ignition, but some good plug wires won't hurt, and they're cheap)
K&N Drop in filter

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
SVT_BMXer said:
Wondering that myself??? His tune was the single best N/A mod for my car.
It could be the tune he gave me that melted my piston.

It could be that he has never returned any of my calls or messages.

It could be the post he put up on his forum saying he would call me, Tuesday (as in 4/25), before deleting the post I had written.

His tune might put more power in the car, but I believe it's at a price. Do you really think Ford put the car out, knowing they could give you more power, but just decied not too? They have a warranty to stand behind.

·
Registered
411 Posts
^^^^ well yeah but Ford also has to follow strict emission laws which consequently result in lower performance. After market tunes are not smog legal but they let the car achieve its true potential.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That's one part of it. But aren't those smog laws there for a reason? Same reason I don't have an ORP. The air is bad enough, I don't want to be the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] making it worse.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
you might want to just edit your first thread, instead of making another one...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: can anyone help me with my svt part 2

Waldoelx7241 said:
hey everyone, well i just bought an 2003 svt this past wednesday but still havent gotten it from the dealer. they are paintin the front body kit and waitin for the damn title to get there. anyways the point is that i have always loved focus', especially the 2 door hatchbacks. What can i expect from my new svt. should i change the stock audiophile radio to a 1,600 watt system? should i add a cold air intake? what should i add to it ? what can my svt do performance whise? what cars out there can it beat on a race? anyone that helps me out with some knowledge of my new svt, i will greatly appriciate it.

it does have a Wings West Avenger Full Body Kit, altezza tail lights, altezza front head lights, exhaust and regular focus rims. where can i get cool looking gauge faces that turn on red at a good price? should i add underbody neons and if i do since the car is black, should i add red or white? what tyo of gas does it run best on and what type of gas should i not put in it. is there any club i can join that gives me a cool decal for the front glass? where can i get cheap but good accesories for my new car?
WTF!?[???:)]

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
pspringe said:
It could be the tune he gave me that melted my piston.

It could be that he has never returned any of my calls or messages.

It could be the post he put up on his forum saying he would call me, Tuesday (as in 4/25), before deleting the post I had written.

His tune might put more power in the car, but I believe it's at a price. Do you really think Ford put the car out, knowing they could give you more power, but just decied not too? They have a warranty to stand behind.
...or it might be something else that melted the piston...

You do know he recently had a death in the family that was very devestating to him?? He was away for a while as well with serious PC issues. Give him time, he will help you as long as you arent openly bashing him for circumstances you have NO IDEA about. He has top notch service and its well known.

..and yes, his tune does put out WAY more power than stock. #1, Ford tuned the car for 48 states. The same tune in CA on 91 octane is the same tune for those of us that get 93 or 94 octane. It the same tune for people with elevations like Denver, CO or New Orleans, LA. Both at complete opposite elevations (thinner air/ denser air...dryer air, more humid air). There are horrific lean spots in the OEM Tune. There's an issue of Focus Fanatics that showed the AF ratios scattered all over the place. The stuble is gone, the bog off the line is nearly gone (the Throttle Body is partial culprit). Torque down low is INSANE and the car pulls hard to the rev limiter.

You can blame Wayne all you want for a melted piston, or you could realize that even a shitty tank of gas can do it just as easily. Or, running too hot of a plug, or a clogged injector, could be anything. You cant just single his one mod out...you have to look at all the facts.

On that note, I HIGHLY reccomend getting an AEM UEGO Gauge. Its a wideband O2 sensor with a gauge with a digital display of Air/ Fuel ration (give or take .1). You can find em for $350-380 online if you search enough. Its totally a worthy mod, especially if you use the SCT Xtreme Tuner where you can make end user adjustments.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I agree...ditch the WW kit and tails and go back to the body the SVT guys designed. Its far nicer than any body kit (ok, maybe the RS kit from F2 is just a tad better - who doesnt like widebody!?). You at least got the right color (black).

Basically, if it doesnt help you go faster, its a waste of money....espceially Neon lights. Every part on my car is there for a reason. Please dont be one of those guys that goes to Pep Boys and hits the ricer aisle. Get yourself a Focus catalogue from your Ford Dealer (its like $5) and buy your body parts. You can easily sell the WW kit on here.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: can anyone help me with my svt part 2

Waldoelx7241 said:

When you get a chance post pics of that thing with that WW kit, I wanna see if I'll hate it. [?|]

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Well, if the knob would have ever retunred my calls (well preceeding the death in his family), I could have worked this out with him. But, I never really got that option, so I guess I am left to bash him.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts