Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
363 Posts
Listen Mr. Deadpool... whining and moaning won't help you, you can make anything fast if put your mind to it, I've worked on terrible, slow as shit OHV engines and made them fast...now it's going to cost some money...besides whatever aftermarket parts their are for the car, intake, motor mounts..any headers yet? you can do a lot of internal mods...probably wait till factory warranty is up though..get the head ported and polished, oversize valves... I realize tuning is a big thing, hopefully they work that out..no plans by Mopar to come out with a tuner or anything?
im not whining, and im not moaning. its called truth and i have accepted it. if i have already put mods on this car and it lost 6mph(losing over all trapspeed is a LOSS of POWER) how do you make something fast that does not want to be modded? the amount of money needed to make a 3300 lbs 4 cyl with a crap transmission fast is astronomical compared to the focus. my friend with a ZX3 has a few bolt ons and his car is hella faster then my car. i know about power to weight ratio and the dart DOES NOT HAVE IT. it is what we have dubbed, TOO FAT TO FLY. hell even Chrysler gave up on the dart. i just took the hint early.

i cant get the head worked on or ported due to the fact that the MULTI AIR blocks are under 2200PSI of pressure and requires a dealer specific tool to remove the blocks. the engine in this car was built as a stop gap engine to have something available in the GT to put them out. the GT was never suppose to be out. the RT was never completed because they didnt want to make the 2.0Turbos that was suppose to be in them. and a turbo set up is 4500 bucks, not worth it. by the time i get done with all that id have been better off with buying the focus from the start.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Interesting that you lose speed with mods, sounds like motor is really not adapting to them well, or you have some crappy ass mods done (or powerband has been moved to where you are not taking full advantage).

$4500 for a turbo setup is not much Bud, although you'll have to shell out more for some extras not included, boost controller perhaps, gauges... I'd look into that, you want speed...you are not happy with what you got, if you sell or trade it in, you'll probably lose at least that $4 grand in depreciation and have a higher car payment..why not work with what you got? Or trade it in and get a focus, they are selling for cheap bud, look at 2013 titaniums (2012 some issues, 2014 some changes...2013 = optimum for modding I think)

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
363 Posts
Interesting that you lose speed with mods, sounds like motor is really not adapting to them well, or you have some crappy ass mods done (or powerband has been moved to where you are not taking full advantage).

$4500 for a turbo setup is not much Bud, although you'll have to shell out more for some extras not included, boost controller perhaps, gauges... I'd look into that, you want speed...you are not happy with what you got, if you sell or trade it in, you'll probably lose at least that $4 grand in depreciation and have a higher car payment..why not work with what you got? Or trade it in and get a focus, they are selling for cheap bud, look at 2013 titaniums (2012 some issues, 2014 some changes...2013 = optimum for modding I think)
dude, seriously, i have been saying this entire time and you said i was whining,lol. that i was gonna trade in for a focus. thats my plan. most likely ill bite the bullet and get a 15 SE HB so i can get some of those rebates to eat some of that negative equity. i need to hit my car payment with a few 450's like three more months to make the trade more acceptable. id never get a titanium since there is no difference between the engine choices. and i dont care about options. the 15 is the better choice due to the fact they had an upgraded steering rack similar to the fiesta ST. the engine is the same as the 13 and as long as i get the manual i dont care either. as long as its not white ill be fine.

why do you say the 13 is optimal for modding? what differences is there? that would put me 2 years back in warranty and miles. and with used cars there is no incentives towards the Neg. Equity? thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Back on topic. Anyone made any track visits with their mk3's lately???

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just read the thread, and the 15.0 run is pretty incredible. I've never even tried a hard launch before, so my time would be horrible, but just pushing the car a bit...it makes good power for what it is.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
The time is not incredible, but the fact it was done with just an intake and tune. ��

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just decided to lurk this thread today lol. Orlando speed world is a very fast track with great prep. Has anyone made 14s yet?
I wasn't able to go this spring, and it's been insanely hot as of late, so I'm going to wait for fall. I'm going to go to Heartland Park in Topeka; the track is ligit.

14 seconds might be out of reach for the DCT, but there is a member that got 15.5 @ 91.5 with a DCT, and the only mods were: removed air filer & E85.

When I go, I'll be fully preped.

25-30 PSI in front
45-50 PSI in rear
spare/jack/hatch lid(s) removed
rear seats removed
headrests removed
floor mats removed
rear coil spring spacers
1/4 tank of E85

Mods are in my signature, but I'm going to cut out/remove the black round disk from the end of the stock OEM filter to keep the air box sealed, and will be running filterless as a result. Also, I'll be using an unpopular e-brake method for launching.

Wish me luck! And congrats on your times man!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wasn't able to go this spring, and it's been insanely hot as of late, so I'm going to wait for fall. I'm going to go to Heartland Park in Topeka; the track is ligit.

14 seconds might be out of reach for the DCT, but there is a member that got 15.5 @ 91.5 with a DCT, and the only mods were: removed air filer & E85.

When I go, I'll be fully preped.

25-30 PSI in front
45-50 PSI in rear
spare/jack/hatch lid(s) removed
rear seats removed
headrests removed
floor mats removed
rear coil spring spacers
1/4 tank of E85

Mods are in my signature, but I'm going to cut out/remove the black round disk from the end of the stock OEM filter to keep the air box sealed, and will be running filterless as a result. Also, I'll be using an unpopular e-brake method for launching.

Wish me luck! And congrats on your times man!
I'm curious how you did? Did you ever end up going?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Based on his.mods at that time I cant see him having very great times

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Unless he removes the whole interior but that's not really indicative of what the car really runs if you can't do it in mostly street trim and doesn't reflect on the power the engine is making.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
A 100 pounds savings accounts for a tenth improvement if you're lucky.....removing interior...spare tire, backseat...etc may be 150pounds, maybe 200max

·
Registered
793 Posts
^^^ 100lbs. = a tenth is a rear wheel drive equation. Much different results with FWD.

I kept getting held-up with work, so I wasn't able get to the track WHEN I wanted to. Shortly after being held-up, the car started to shudder, so I axed all sporting plans with my MK3. I may track my FiST though, but we'll see.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
^^^ 100lbs. = a tenth is a rear wheel drive equation. Much different results with FWD.

I kept getting held-up with work, so I wasn't able get to the track WHEN I wanted to. Shortly after being held-up, the car started to shudder, so I axed all sporting plans with my MK3. I may track my FiST though, but we'll see.
"Much different" ?

Even if 100 lbs were 100% more effective that would be... .2 seconds.

I'll opt to NOT spend an hour or two ripping apart my car, spend a few bucks and get a reusable option like some sticky meaty 16, 17, 18" ET streets to get out of the hole, and learn to drive the car on the track.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

What about the extended warranty, are you high mileage? I've been lucky to not have any issues with my DCT, but to just accept and live with shudder would suck.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
100 lbs. = one tenth second is mainly a latter 3/4 of the run thing, it really makes little difference off the line, where traction is the all out determiner. If you have already honed your leave to be pretty consistent you won't get that tenth out of the launch alone, it's picked up little by little along the entire run. The engine pulls up faster in every gear.

BTDT and way more than once. I watched my AMX as it dropped from 3250 lbs. down to 2850 a chunk at a time (scraping 75 lbs. of undercoating off bottom of car = SUCKS) and same powertrain all through that. Horsepower to weight ratio logic applies the same to both types of car, simply confusing the drive type as to how MORE weight can help it in the right place. Two different issues with overlapping effects. Like the difference in having rear overhang and/or front end lift past CG or not on a RWD. Not strictly weight in and of itself, rather, the constructive use of it.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts