Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys im sorry if this a repeat topic but i was wondering if my stock 02 Zetec would be to handle a turbo in it? from what i have read it can be done im just curious as to if it will mess up the engine? i want to be running it at about 6-7PSI with a tune.
Another question is what is the difference between a 3000$ turbo kit from a dealer and a 600$ kit on ebay? would the 600$ harm my car more? or would it just not be able to get the same power as a $3k kit?

thanks in advance for any advice / help ^_^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can a stock zetec handle a turbo?

Sorry if this is a repeat thread but i couldnt find exactly what i was looking for in the other threads.
I drive a 02 Zetec and i want to turbo it. I know it can be done but will it destroy the engine? or can it handle the turbo? i only want to run it at about 6-7PSI with a tune.

my second question is what is the difference between a $3k kit from a dealer and a $600 kit on ebay? would the $600 kit damage my car in anyway? or would it just not last as long or be as powerful as the 3k kit?

thanks in advance for any help / advice :)

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
Universal ebay kits are a no no they are more of a pain than anything.[scream] From what I have read on here if you want that little boost your stock zetec will be just fine. I believe that you don't have to build the engine till closer to 300whp. Another thing I remember reading was someone with 60k or something like that on their turbo.

My final comment is that you should consider reposting in the Forced induction area as you will receive more replies from more knowledgeable people.

WELCOME to Focus Fanatics [ffrocks] [loveff] [welcome]

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
the 600 dollar kit is barely a turbo, half decent parts alone cost twice as much. Take into account all fabrication needed to make it fit, and you'll end up spending the same amount for an inferior system.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
nothing will fit on the universal kit. The stock bottom end of a zetec can handle about 250-260 whp or about 15psi and thats pushing the limits. there was a guy here who had 270 whp, but blew his engine. 250 is as far as you want to go w/o building the bottom end and 12 psi is relatively safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice :D im glad to hear my car can handle a bit of boost, when im ready to turbo it i will probably ask in the forced induction forum :) thanks i didnt see that before lol.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
stay away from the cheap ebay kits!!!! for goodness sake stay away from those. the ebay kits are incomplete and the the things they do come with are garbage. yes the stock zetec engine can handle around 10 psi of boost before you start having problems. with good pistons and rods you could boost around 15psi. talk to tom at focus power for all your turbo needs. he is the BEST in the business. at 10 psi or so on a stock engine you might be making 220-240hp

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
^what he said^ Tom at focus power really knows what hes talking about

ive heard people with 12psi of boost on stock zetec, but if it was mine i wouldnt go any higher than 9-10psi unless i installed some pistons/rods

and you HAVE to have a good tune (i would recomend Tom's^ tune)

·
Registered
149 Posts
yea Tom really knows his stuff. He has helped me alot because i have an 02' focus that i want to turbo. And a friend of mine had an ebay kit on his car and it worked and everything but cost so much for the extra fabrication and fitting. And eventually he just replaced EVERYTHING in the kit anyway. so he turned a $600 kit into about a $4k kit. So in the long run, go with he best.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You can run 12psi safely on a stock engine... a couple of months ago I helped zetecfreak with his SPA kit and it turned out really well.... 240whp 240wtq

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Hey there guys im sorry if this a repeat topic but i was wondering if my stock 02 Zetec would be to handle a turbo in it? from what i have read it can be done im just curious as to if it will mess up the engine? i want to be running it at about 6-7PSI with a tune.
Another question is what is the difference between a 3000$ turbo kit from a dealer and a 600$ kit on ebay? would the 600$ harm my car more? or would it just not be able to get the same power as a $3k kit?

thanks in advance for any advice / help ^_^
Do a lot more searching and reading.

Ebay kits are incomplete

$3k kits usually are full kits, just in need of a tune.

You just dont bolt on a turbo and go, do your research or you will be buying a new motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts