Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 03 svt i`ve done the apexi exhaust and aem cold air intake anyone switched cams and installed adjustable exhaust cam gear yet if so is it worth the money and what camshafts work best

·
Registered
712 Posts
Actually I heard that focus sports cams got good gains across the board, but getting the computer to deal with them is a whole nother issue. Its going to be a liitle while before any cams for svt are released

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Ray Dixon sold me a Zetec Ford Racing Camshaft Gear, which will fit the SVTF, got lucky, the cam sensor went out in the car. Ford replaced the cam, cam sensor, and some other things, that I cannot spell [:D] The Mech. did us a favor and put on the Cam Gear, [;)] problem is that you have to have it tuned in, hello dyno shop. This is the results.[thumb]

Baseline Max Power=155.5
Advanced Cam 3 Degrees: Max Power= 160.1

Baseline Torque= 134.5
Advanced Cam 3 Degrees: Max Torque= 137.6

I dont have a scanner or I would post the actual dyno sheets, sorry.

Is it worth it? I think so only $150.00 for the gear. Got lucky and got free intallation, spent $75.00 at the dyno. On the gear inself at the top are the adjustment #s, dyno guy just used a small wench to advance or retard the gear untill we got what we where happy with, did not take no time at all, only an hour and we played around with it. Seemed like a no brainer to adjust, spent more time dynoing than adjusting. Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention that we have not had any problems with the computer dealing with the Cam Gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool yea i was lil concern about the power gain i`m a tech and i can install all the stuff and the cams shouldnt effect the powertrain control module due to the vehicle having a mass air flow sensor over most import car that have a map sensor which works off of the manifold pressure
and the mass air flow works off of the amount air taken in by the engine. ok well i guess i need to order the cams and exhaust manifold gear thanx for the help guys

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know if it's true in all states, but in California, even if the car will pass smog, it's not leagal with the adjustable cam gear. If the tech that does your smog sees it, he is suppose to, and probably will, not pass you on the smog. AEM's website even states this for their exhaust cam gear.

From AEM's website FAQ.

Question
Are Tru-Time Cam Gears emissions legal?

Answer
No. Due to the adjustability of the gears, the Tru-Time cam gears cannot be granted an E.O.

Of course, that might not be a concern for you, but I thought I would put my two cents in before you spent the money.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
vanace said:
keep the belt gaurd in place and the tech will never know [}:)]
Vanace is right, the Cam Gear is hidden behind the belt guard, the front right tire must be removed in order to diconnect the guard. Its a pain in the a**, even if you have small hands its still impossible to disconnect the guard without removing the tire. The dyno guy with the help of my husband and another was able to just pull the belt guard away from the gear enough to get the wrench in to adjust while on the dyno. Since the Gear is messing with the timing on the car Wolf71 is right also, it is not legal in states with emmission laws. Although I dont believe the gear would be seen, unless the car is computer tested then it will show up that your time has been advanced or retarded, this can also pose a problem with your warranty work. Of course you can always adjust the gear back yourself to what is stock on the car then nothing would be detected before you take it in for service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if being a tech for ford only way they can tell is if the monitor ur timing while driving and even then its very hard the only way they would know is if they pulled the timing gear cover or the valve cover the pcm dosent pick up a code for the timing being off a few degrees but i was looking more into the cams then the gears anyone tired the motor sport or crane cams

·
Registered
712 Posts
You will not get much if anything more, might even lose some by putting any aftermarket cams in, the ones for SVT aren't on the market yet, and the stock cams are as aggressive or more than anything on the mraket right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts