Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got my bolt ons and wanted to do my cams but know nothing, absolutely nothing about them. I dont know about the gear ratios(they confuse me the most), what stage cams, or what else is needed to install them.

Or is doing my cams right now even worth the effort?
I got my exhaust, tb, header, cai, and a pulley kit on order.. any feedback will help, thx!

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
You can order the MM cam adjustment tool for $99 to set your stock cams (unless the D20 doesn't have stock adjustables, but I think it does).

Or you could go with a cam manufacturer like Crower or Crane. I know the Crane ones, if the car's gonna be anything but a pure track beast, you want to stay with Stage 1 or 2.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Crane 2's and valve springs are in my car at the moment. The are a defininte improvement, how much so the dyno will only tell. I'm expecting to put down 165whp with my current mods now that the new cams are in.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the mm cam adjuster a do it yourself thing and how does it adjust? Any preference choice over crower or crane? I wanted to go with stage 2 cams with whatever I do.

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
Aero, what would you be expecting with a header.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Not all headers are going to be making the same power, with the new header MarcyMotorsport is coming out with I expect to see 180-185whp, others I'd expect 175 depending on the design.

·
Registered
501 Posts
How hard are cams to install? Like is it as easy as reading directions? Or is it just best to get the cam tool.

Can you set the cams back, so if your engine blows you can set it back and the dealer wouldn't know?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You don't need to get the cam tool to install them, you need it to adjust them.

The install isn't the easiest in the world and shouldn't be done unless you have some mechanical experience. There are a few tricks though that make it relatively easy.

The dealer would know if you had beens crewing around, the only way you could have problems is if you didn't pay attention during the install and follow the directions. You could theoretically lose timing and have your valves smackinto and bend on the top of the pistons.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
SpeedDemonZX3 said:
Hey I got my bolt ons and wanted to do my cams but know nothing, absolutely nothing about them. I dont know about the gear ratios(they confuse me the most), what stage cams, or what else is needed to install them.

Or is doing my cams right now even worth the effort?
I got my exhaust, tb, header, cai, and a pulley kit on order.. any feedback will help, thx!
i dont know if this would help at all now... but from what ive heard/seen about the pulleys on the duratec, they arent really worth the moola or time spent to get them on... as they only add about 1 or 3hp at max.

i could be wrong but thats what i saw somewhere.[confused]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Focus Central did do a pully, but it was so easy to lose timing and there were a number of failures so they stopped making them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts