Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crower or Kent cams? or any other brand out there. Whats the best for street use and a good bang for the buck. I hear they mess up your idle..would a custom chip fix that?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
it will have a lumpy idle depending on the severity of the lift and duration, though almost all aftermarket cams will cause this, a chip cannot really do much for it

·
Registered
697 Posts
cams and cams gears are gonna through off your idle a bit regardless

·
Registered
565 Posts
rough idle = badass cars.

and like everyone else says, you're going to get a rough idle no matter what, at least to some degree

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
EuroZX3 said:
a chip can raiset he idle it helps some but not drastically
Actually it helps alot, I had crower stage 2's and a chip raised my idle, car idled nicely.

What are your other mods, if you have strictly bolt ons then the Ford racing stage 2 cams will be much better suited to your car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Focus central cam gears are going on next week and ill be ordering the cams within a week after that. Right now i have a K&N intake off road header and flex with a focus sport exhaust.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
would be rather useless to do the cam gears then, wait for the cams and save the time. though i would still finish off the intake first...but thats just me

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well Im sure the cam gears will do something for me...the dyno for the kent cam gears on focussport.com looks pretty impressive...I do plan on getting a tb and possibly a ported intake mani.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
throwing a set of cam gears on your car willdo nothing, they will have to be tuned and like Kickn said might as wel save time and wait till you have the cams and gears on

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh i know they have to be tuned im not just gonna throw them on. who said i was gonna do that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does it matter if i put them on now or later...They're gonna go on at some point. Or will they have to be retuned to acomedate the new cams....?

·
Registered
697 Posts
new cams have diff lift and rpm ranges, adn a total diff grind from stock ones. all the gear will do is if you tune for stock cams and keep the tune you have and put it on the aftermarket cams wont do any good. the whole point of the gear is only to change the advance or retard(TIMING) of the cams them selves, so that they are in correspondance with your valves opening and closing. its a bit of a hassle ot install a set of cam gears then take them off in couple of weeks nad get your gocus TDC and start putting in the new cams and then putting on new gears. safe your self the time, and maybe the money (if your not doing it) and take it all in one shot. wait for your cams to arrive and them pop them and the gears at once, then tune the gears. Jeff (focaltech) got me half whipped into shape about the topic dont ya HAHA.

also jeff you find anything about that pectel kit? i been dooing a little research and that combo they had should of went Ka Blewy and BANG

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Listen to what they say...Get the gears and hold on to them...Unless you do the work yourself. then install the new cam/cams and have it dyno`d. Or seat of the pants if you like to do it yourself...Other than that go get it done.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright guys thanks for the advice. I'm think bout waiting to get cams till the summer and save for the custom chip and have everything done all at once and feel the power gains of gears, cams and the custom chip...MAN what a feeling that will be..might have to wear my neck brace that day...

·
Registered
697 Posts
it'll be worth it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts