Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lookin to get some cam. Looking for some advice. I have heard great things about comp and crower cams, but found a set of obx cams. With the stage 2 obx cams they have a lower range of rpm compared to the crower and comp. not looking to really upgrade the valvetrain. So my question. Will I have a rough idle with a 2200-7400 cams such as the comp and crower, or should I get the obx with 1000-7000 rpm range

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I am lookin to get some cam. Looking for some advice. I have heard great things about comp and crower cams, but found a set of obx cams. With the stage 2 obx cams they have a lower range of rpm compared to the crower and comp. not looking to really upgrade the valvetrain. So my question. Will I have a rough idle with a 2200-7400 cams such as the comp and crower, or should I get the obx with 1000-7000 rpm range
If your not going to change out your springs= stage 1's. Pass that I'd change the springs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read alot on here about the different cams and have seen that if your not exceeding around .400 lift then your good to run stage 2 cams on a stock valvetrain. But I was wondering about the difference in idle on rpm range 1000-7000 and 2200-7400. Is that just the range when you would be getting the best gain in power?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I've read alot on here about the different cams and have seen that if your not exceeding around .400 lift then your good to run stage 2 cams on a stock valvetrain. But I was wondering about the difference in idle on rpm range 1000-7000 and 2200-7400. Is that just the range when you would be getting the best gain in power?
Thats a basic rpm that the cam manufacturer says it make usable power/torque. For a DD, the 1000-7000 cams are the one to get. I have a set of cranes 224-0010 which work great for a DD. Big difference compared to the oem cams.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
224-0010 when I look then up are for the duratec. I'm running zetec.
Yea, thats right you have a zetec. Look up cranes/crowers stage 1's for a zetec.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

On a spring that doesn't have over 100,000 miles and 14 years of service, maybe.
On springs that have been well used ... do you really want to trust and engine failure to an extra $300 piece of mind?

I would go so far as to say at this time that ANYONE doing cams should upgrade springs, no matter what cam is being used. None of our cars are spring chickens and all will have varying degrees of weakened springs.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
I like the Comp stg2 cams , you need to add ADJ cam gears and figure in dyno time or dont waste your money on cams

Change your valve springs as well they need it

To run cams and get out of them what you want you need to have the SVT header , Exh , intake and tune again if you dont have these dont waste your money on cams

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts