Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well im looking to get a little more power out of my car. I am running a turboed zetec. I was looking at cams and i wasnt sure how much of a power gain people get with a turboed zetec. can you guys just post up what cams you run and the power difference vs stock cams? I will also be running a stock head.

let me know
thanks mike

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Ya most everyone runs stock cams fernando is running stg3s but i dont know if they helped

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ya most everyone runs stock cams fernando is running stg3s but i dont know if they helped
You don't know if they helped. LoL ask yourself how much power do you want. Cams are not going to get you 50hp. Cams are going to change the way the car drives.if your looking for more pwr a more boost with race fuel or nitrous shot. 30shot should do it.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Cams do little to add HP/TQ , the best thing to do is add more boost , If you are already in the 240/250 range on a stock engine then thats about all you can safely do , If you have a built engine then just add more boost

Tom

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
but don't cams allow for more boost to go into the engine??

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i have some turbo cams for sale. i am not sure about how much they actually help since i did not do back to back test with the stock cams. but you can definitely tell a difference in lift over the stock ones just by looking at the cams.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Yes but at what cost , most cams add lift AND duration and it seems any more air that could be added from lift is being blown out the EXH from the duration/overlap

Tom

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
true, but what about a set of custom cams w/ about a .430" gross lift and no overlap, they could work, granted idle would be really high!! I mean, you can find crower turbo cams on the bst forum, i've seen them for under 200 bucks and if you know how to do the install, you could see a small amount more hp. but i guess this would only be for ALL OUT builds. wouldn't this help a nitrous application as well?

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
I have tested a few of the cams out there both custom and off the shelf and I havent found any to be worth the cost of the cams gains wise let along the install and having to dyno them

Tom

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
if you dial out the overlap on the cams, do u actually loose hp compared to what you would have w/ stock cams?? I have crower 2's w/ a jrsc bbk.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i done my build with the cams because i wanted to have two complete motors with out haveing to relash if for some reason i had to sell. so i figured i might as well get the turbo cams. did or help or did it not... i have no idea. but i like to think [;)]

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The way I look at it is ... You can either spend money on cams (retune needed as well) or you can up the boost a pound or two (retune needed as well) assuming you have room to grow on your engine... make the same power (if not more) and not have to spend the money on the cams.

·
Uber sexy euro time
2,827 Posts
I have FR2's on my zx3 and was wondering if i should put the stockers back on after the turbo build or leave the FR2's in.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
the FR 2's should be fine... I would suggest using cams gears (if you dont already have them) to dial out a little of the overlap.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
what about my crower 2's??

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I'll put it like this.. SVT cams are as big/bigger than FR 3's and you see how much power we make.

As long as you dial out some of the over lap you'll be fine.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
crowers are bigger than fr3's too. but u guys have variable cam timing for the intake, doesn't that make a differance?? sorry, not too familiar w/ the svts vct.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I dont have VCT... got rid of that JUNK.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I dont have VCT... got rid of that JUNK.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts