Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!! Ok so im about to drop 1500 to 2000 into the top end of my focus. Im looking to do Cams, tune, and headwork. what are my best options for headwork i know port and polish and valve job but should i increase valve size like to the FR 33mm and 30mm and mill the head for more compression along with the cams? just trying to figure out the best combo to go with here and still come within my budget and get the most power. thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hi all!! Ok so im about to drop 1500 to 2000 into the top end of my focus. Im looking to do Cams, tune, and headwork. what are my best options for headwork i know port and polish and valve job but should i increase valve size like to the FR 33mm and 30mm and mill the head for more compression along with the cams? just trying to figure out the best combo to go with here and still come within my budget and get the most power. thanks for any suggestions

Comp Cams stage 2, Tom`s tune (1turbofocus) and Ford Racing for the head. Nuff said.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, for 2k, (assuming tune isn't in price)

FR head - 800
upgraded valvetrain - 200
crower stage 3 cams - (about the max you can run NA on 93 octane)- 375
gears - 150
and you can have tom port the head for another 500 too.
then decking. ur looking at about 2k

and about 175 whp NA if you have supporting mods

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Yes you want (actually, need) big valves. So add that into the price for the FR head.

IMO the cheapest route is to use the SVT head, but I'm biased being that's what I did. Problem is finding one complete and the VCT delete kit. If you can find that the rest is a cakewalk.

I wouldn't touch a stock zetec head. Sell it for scrap, because it is.
The amount of porting needed to make good power just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
what about massives head?
woulnd't it be better then the FR? (if you upgrade the valvetrain and have to get it ported)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dosent the FR head come with the bigger valves? And I was looking at the crowe stage twos wasn't sure if the stage 3s would be to much for a everyday driver

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
FR comes with stock valves.

The Massive head starts life as a FR head IIRC.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
jon, is the SVT head a direct bolt on to the zetec? i would think so, minus the vct delete and tuning, what did u do about the IMRC?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
so he's running off the zetec ECU then. else you could still run VCT

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i knew he was runnin the svt head, didn't know about tuning or e85 or i'm just having a lapse! lol

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i've sinced moved on from the zetec to the SVT, i own a couple. (ones my parts car) so i don't remember as much anymore! lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sooo FR head, crower springs and retainers, crower stg 2s, cam gears should get me where i need to be. as far as tune goes should I get the fswerks flasher then go have it dyno tuned with the cam gears as well? thanks again for all the help

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yup, that will do you really good. but seeing as how you are going for all the bells and whistles, why not go w/ crower 3's?

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
Me I would do

Ford racing head and add better springs I like the ford racing , the crowers are to costly because you have to buy the crower retainers and there no help , hands down the best head out there

SVT header or all this is worthless

I would do the comp stg 3 cams there low lift .381 and a good duration and will be perfect for your build

If you get the tune and xcal from me you get FREE tune updates as you add more mods and thats priceless

Adj cam gears

SVT mass air and Injectors if you can find the complete mass air and box I would do that with a drop in filter

2.5 or 3 inch Exh as well

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an 4-2-1 header with 2.25 exh now can upgrade to 2.5 later if need be. I also have 65mm TB, CAI, and UDP. Tom I looked at your site but didnt see where to order the xcal do I need to call you with all the info?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts