Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if the following CAMSHAFT will work okay with a custom Turbo set up, better than stock cams???

Stout Street/Track profile. Manual transmission w/headers and free-flow exhaust. Extract hidden HP and Torque with Crane Cams Adjustable Cam Sprockets, Pt. No. 223999-1. Use Crane Cams Titanium Retainer and Extra-Travel, tension-Matched Performance Valve Spring kit, Part Number 903-2005.
RPM range: 2,000 - 7,000

Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,000-7,000 RPM

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 214

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 210

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 214 int./210 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration: 236

Advertised Duration: 236 int./232 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.374 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.366 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.374 int./0.366 exh. lift

Lobe Separation (degrees): 109.5

Intake Valve Lash: 0.20mm

Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.25mm

Grind Number: F-214/382-2SR-9

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You really dont want to run aftermarket cams with any forced induction application
Creates overlap, so when you are boosting the boost moves right through the exhaust
and the intake side at the same time. Thus leaving you with no boost.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
what about if he wanted the "turbo" cams from mcnews? aren't those specifically designed without overlap so you don't have to worry about that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My HP goals are around 230! Hopefully on a stock motor if I can find the right tuner!

Okay so I will stay away from the cams for now until next spring I'll make a final decision!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If your goal is 230. You should have no problem with stock motor... I'm Pushing 246HP to the wheels with stock motor & Stock clutch, Focus-Central Adjustable Cams. I have running for a year now still going strong. Thanks to TOM.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
at what point the the stock cams become unreliable. i mean how much hp/tq can you produce without needing to replace them? i've heard that the stock cams can withstand 350+hp without a problem, so it sounds like they won't fail very easily.

·
Registered
228 Posts
crazymechanic said:
cam strength isn't an issue. I believe tom is making 730ish hp to the wheels on his zx3 race car with a lentech automatic on stock cams
730ish???? Has he been working on the car? I remeber in the 400 range but never heard 730. Tom, true?

·
Registered
218 Posts
With a stock-ish cam and a small turbo, you don't want/need much overlap, but with a bigger cam and turbo...overlap is essential for good driveability and midrange. The old line about "no overlap with a turbo" is just that...an old line from people who don't know any better.

You don't have to go crazy with it, but overlap broadens the useable powerband...no overlap with a performance cam makes for gutless down low and peaky up top.

·
Registered
301 Posts
what about if u want the power band in the middle?

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's where overlap is your friend.

If you have a stocker, you don't need much, but even a stone-stock NA Zetec will gain HP in the midrange by retarding the exhaust cam a few degrees to add some overlap. A turbo motor will do the same. Overlap helps gain velocity in the midrange that's lost when using a larger cam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tom since your here listening/watching, how long does it take to do the tune for a custom turbo? And about what would it cost? I know if I want those numbers, there isn't really anyone around where I am that could probably do it! So I would be willing to bring it down to you next spring!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts