Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.

i got my FR stg IIs installed this weekend.

but now i have an oil leak i never had before.

its not coming from the valve cover.

i have a feeling its coming from the timing belt cover. we did the timing belt as well.

i am wondering if there is a gasket type material that i could get to put on the timing cover to seal it. like a spray on something. im pretty sure thats it.

im open to other ideas. i will be tackling this wesneday when i have the day off work. so any input is nice. gimme some things to check or some products to use.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Get a pic if you can, i believe he may be correct. If you dont get the seals back in line properly, they could leak. Also, the cam caps on the ends should have been sealed with a dab of silicome to prevent a leak there as well.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a pic if you can, i believe he may be correct. If you dont get the seals back in line properly, they could leak. Also, the cam caps on the ends should have been sealed with a dab of silicome to prevent a leak there as well.
ok well i didnt do the silicone thing and i have 100k miles on the old cam seals. so i am gonna replace them this weekend. they are only like 15 bux or something from ford. i might try the black light thing. we shall see. who knows. thanks for the input guys. i appreciate it.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Keep us posted, hope you get her fixed man.

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
I had a really bad leak when I did my cams, It turned out one of the cams seals bent a little when I put it in, the spring popped out. It became a sprinkler. You couldn't see the problem till it was off. good luck cam seals are a good start for 7.50 or so.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does the spring face the shaft of the cam or face away from the cam?

i have a feeling its them. now i gotta clean my engine bay hardcore.

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
The spring goes in, it usually feels pretty snug when you have it in right. Mine felt right but it was folded back. PM me if your valve train or injectors are louder now.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
like the spring goes towards the shaft? i just wanna make sure.

it doesnt seem louder. just losing oil like a siv.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The spring he is talking about is on the inside, you would have to actually take the seal out to see it. It goes around the inside of the seals "lip" and places a small amount of tension on the sealing surface. Also, if it has come off, hope that you can find it after taking the seal out.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i know the springs are in there. but there are two sides to the seal. does the spring side go towards the cam or the actual rubber part? the rubber part makes the most sense to me. i am gonna be tearing this apart tomorrow and hopefully i can fix it. god i feel like a newb sometimes.

so we shall see tomorrow if i can get it fixed.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Its ok, everyone can make a mistake. The seal is in correct if it looks "solid" on the outside.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Heres a view of front and back on a seal like that:

On the top one you can see (slightly) the spring behind the lip, this is the back side of the seal or the part that goes towards the inside of the engine. The bottom pic is the side that should be towards the cam gears.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
outside being the cam gear side and not cam side. right?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The cam gear side is the solid side of the seal where you cant see the spring

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the clarification mike. youve been a big help. thanks for the cams. the car just screams. i cant wait for more mods and tune :D

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Youre welcome man.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
now to get it fixed. and now to freaking get more mods. mike did you get my PM bout the SVT exhaust?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts