Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=56

Refer to link above when im asking these questions.

- Under the removal portion, Step 4: Remove the camshaft timing pulleys. What does this mean? What is the camshaft timing pulley exactly?
- Under install step 1: Apply sealant to camshaft bearing cap numbers 0 and 5 in the areas shown. What sealant is it talking about? What does this mean?
- Under the removal Step 2: Turn the crankshaft to approximately 60 degrees before TDC on cylinder number 1. What does this mean what is TDC? And how do i measure 60 degrees?

Do I not just replace the new camshaft to the same angle the old one was at or what. These directions are confusing. If anyone can help it would be appreciated or point me in the direction of some clearer instructions.
Thanks

·
FF Affiliate
30,933 Posts
Not trying to be a jurk but if you cannot understand what is being said there you may want to get some help installing your cams , Just one tooth off and you will be taking the head off and replacing valves

Tom

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I agree with tom, I figured eh what the hell why not and I seriously ruined my engine. If you don't know what a timing pulley is, do yourself a BIG favor and have a professional do it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nah, im doing it myself. I was gonna do it by myself but i decided to wait for my friend who has already done it to help me out. And just because I dont know the name of everything in my engine bay doesnt mean I should not touch my car. You gotta learn some way or another. I just was taking the smart route and not rushing into it. But so far no one decided to answer my question, just telling me to have someone else do it is not what i was looking for. Thats what these forums are for, d.i.y. Not have someone on the internet tell you to have someone else do it. I want to learn. I want answers not suggestions. Screw professional help, i'd rather learn wipe my butt with $100.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
ok well in that case (I admire your persistance. I destroyed one engine, but I learned a lot. I too like to do everything myself. It raises the satisfaction you get from installing your own mod. I can do this whole thing with my eyes closed now because me and my dad had to fix everything I screwed up haha. This is one of the more detailed DIY mods though. We did the suspension on monday. It was WAYY easier than I thought it would be. It's just like unscrewing 3 bolts and then screwing them back in.):

- Under the removal portion, Step 4: Remove the camshaft timing pulleys. What does this mean? What is the camshaft timing pulley exactly?

The camshaft timing pulleys are the actual cam gears (You MUST have adjustable cam gears to do this install or you will kill your engine timing). They are bolted to the side of the camshafts and the timing belt goes over them so that when the crankshaft turns, it spins the camshafts

- Under install step 1: Apply sealant to camshaft bearing cap numbers 0 and 5 in the areas shown. What sealant is it talking about? What does this mean?

Sealant as in liquid-gasket. You can find this at most auto parts stores. You're just putting it on to prevent oil leaks when you put everything back together. It's the two bearing caps that seal the camshafts on the side of the cam gears. The bearing caps are what hold the camshafts down. They are screwed down with torx bolts.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]MAKE SURE you have torx SOCKETS as well as a T-55 torx bit for the cam gears. You WILL strip them if you use an 8mm socket, TRUST me on this one. I can't remember what size torx socket it is, it might be an E10 but I could be wrong.

- Under the removal Step 2: Turn the crankshaft to approximately 60 degrees before TDC on cylinder number 1. What does this mean what is TDC? And how do i measure 60 degrees?

Line up a protractor on the center of the crankshaft and make a mark at 90 degrees. Turn the crank pulley counter-clockwise until your mark has gone back 60 degrees (yes JUST like in geometry class in high school).

TDC is when the piston in cylinder 1 (the one on the side of the timing belt) is at the top of the cylinder.
You achieve EXACT TDC (Top-Dead Center) when the TDC pin is tapped by the crankshaft. You have to put the tdc pin in down by he headers, there's a blank in there to keep oil from leaking out. You just spin the crankshaft pulley clockwise till it's there, then you get your protractor and spin it backwards 60 degrees.

Do I not just replace the new camshaft to the same angle the old one was at or what. These directions are confusing. If anyone can help it would be appreciated or point me in the direction of some clearer instructions.

you drop the camshafts in at 60 degrees before TDC so that you're not fighting your valve springs when you're putting your cap bolts back on. Once you get the cap bolts back on, it will be much easier to put the cam gears on the camshafts and line the engine back to TDC then spin your cams until your alignment bar locks the grooves on the driver's end of the camshafts. with all that in place, slip the timing belt on.

You probably should install a brand new timing belt as well as put in a new water pump (you already did 90% of the work for that, get it out of the way so you don't worry about it later.)

Make sure you have all the right tools. In addition to the ones mentioned, you will need:
http://www.newedgeperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3

And you will need new oil seals. You MIGHT need a new valve-cover gasket (it's a 50/50 chance. Better to have an extra around than to have to wait for ford to order you a new one. ESPECIALLY if this is your Daily Driver. You will also need a breaker bar (some of those things have MAD torque on them), and i'm assuming you have a full set of socket sizes.

Good luck. [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

Anyone else feel free to chime in!

·
FF Affiliate
30,933 Posts
I<3myFocus said:
But so far no one decided to answer my question, just telling me to have someone else do it is not what i was looking for. Thats what these forums are for, d.i.y. Not have someone on the internet tell you to have someone else do it. I want to learn. I want answers not suggestions. Screw professional help, i'd rather learn wipe my butt with $100.
If you read NO ONE said anything about letting some one else do it , what was said was "you may want to get some help installing your cams" HELP this means you can be right there learning and helping why there installed at least by some on that knows what TDC is =Top Dead Center

If you screw up just slightly the cost could be between 500 and $1000.00 how much butt wiping could be doing with that

Tom

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Tom, I agree with you only from personal experience. But like me, he wants to learn that the hard way. Hopefully he won't make the same mistakes I did. I at least tried to give him a heads-up to what extra precautions will be needed.

ok I've edited that long post up there about 8 times now lol.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
It would prolly be best if you know a mechanic who does family and friends car work on the side at his house. They dont charge very much and like having people right there with them working. Thats how we got our old 83 mustang motor rebuilt. He pulled motor and stripped the motor down, took it to a place to get bored and cleaned and he put it all back together. Motor is still goin good after a few years. This would be your best option, its cheap and could save you money incase something was over looked when you do it by your self. xp0s3d has written alot of info, use it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Xposed. That really helps. Tom, I didnt post to get a lecture about why I shouldn't do it myself. If they just called them cam gears I would be in no way asking questions about that, and if they didnt use abbreviations where I had to guess what they meant I would have had no questions about that either. Now Im down for it, experience is all I need. Gotta start somewhere and ask questions from someone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts