Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wuld stage 1 crowers be bad to go with on an auto trans?....cuz ive been reading in these forums and ppl said tc/sc wuld blow up an atx....so i decided not go with that until my warranty is up....but for now....cuz in the higher rpms my car is a dogg.....just wanted to see if maybe cams wuld be good....but how good on an atx??....any suggestions...PLEASE lemme know thanx[:D]
Mike

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I don't think cams would hurt the ATX too much as long as you don't mash it all of the time. You are gonna want to get it built up a little depending on you other mods.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
you should be fine. your tranny wont give over night or anything but u might want to look into some build ups within the first year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
to take this thread a bit further, what would it take to switch the auto trans to a manual. Ive been looking for a way to actually get a RS engine imported, but if it turns out thats a no go, Im just going to go all balls on the engine and switch the trans.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
focus... get a hold of Hotrodwagon or i think jistrum has some good links for auto build ups...

anyway... why would u import an RS engine? you can make your zetec handle a lot more boost and get a better turbo set up cheaper over here...

manual swap wont be worth it really in the long run, but you would need to find the tranny, then just go to a tranny shop and have them do it. the 6 spd getrag from an svt will fit the zx3 with some work

·
Registered
607 Posts
spyride said:
to take this thread a bit further, what would it take to switch the auto trans to a manual. Ive been looking for a way to actually get a RS engine imported, but if it turns out thats a no go, Im just going to go all balls on the engine and switch the trans.
why don't you just get a auto tranny made from http://www.performanceautomatic.com/

or you can get one from Lantech. Cause if your going to go with all the trouble to do that your better off trading in your auto for a manual. besides if you really want to put some power down you MTX tranny won't take it like a built up auto tranny from either of the guys listed up top. but hey if you really want a stick just trade one in save yourself the trouble[thumb]

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I like the above link as a company. They are really nice to work with. Also try www.lentech.com They have a lot of stuff too.

Remember, Turbo Tom just went to a lentech ATX so he could get better launches and try to eliminate the constant spinning he gets the whole way down the track. Definitely build up the ZETEC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im more of the autox/track racer, not a strip kinda guy, thats why Im looking for a manual. frankly I think I might just save the money and buy another rx-7, and just keep this stock, but I still hate driving automatics. Ill see what options are open to me though, thanks for the help guys.
Focus0nMe13, sorry for the thread hijack, but you might find something useful here to, who knows.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
if your gonna go for a track racer definately look at the getrag. that 6 spd close gear ratio tranny is sweet on the track. id see if any junkyards around have a wrecked SVT.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Wouldent it end up being cheaper just selling the entire car with an auto and re-buying a manual version? Seems like a waste to try and tranny swap, the parts and labor would kill you, ill bet youd loose less money selling the car

·
Registered
59 Posts
labor wouldnt cost me anything, Im a DIYer, why pay a shop when Im perfectly capable and have the equipment? And like I said before, I might just keep this as a work/whatever vehical and just get back into the first gen rx-7s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts