Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so if i were to get get cams would i HAVE TO get a tune or could i get away with out one?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
i meant camshafts... gerneally meaning stage 1s

unless you are going turbo, but even at that go wtiha custom grind

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go with a custom grind? hunh? i thought you wouldnt have to get new springs if you got stage 2? hmm maybe i was thinking something else. but yea my XCAL2 from wayne is on the way to mi casa. ive heard alot about comp stage 2 or something like that. ive tried looking around for cams and cannot make out what its telling me with all those numbers!!! im like whoaaaa havent learned that yet!! someone want to give me a quick crash course? oh and im guessing whatever stage 2 cams i get probably wont come with new springs? yes no?

·
Registered
345 Posts
don't listen to wayne(wikedgrayzx3). he likes to think what he doesn't want isn't good for anyone else. Stage ones aare well worth the money and a retune from wayne (if you got the tuning subscription) will really wake them up, as will an aggressive setting.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
then why not go stage 2's with more conservative timming??????

and the only real differenace between a cammed tune and a non-cammed tune is increased fuel pressure

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
craigb3 said:
don't listen to wayne(wikedgrayzx3). he likes to think what he doesn't want isn't good for anyone else. Stage ones aare well worth the money and a retune from wayne (if you got the tuning subscription) will really wake them up, as will an aggressive setting.
engrish?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I beg to differ on that. there is a lot more going on in the tune than you think.

Stg1's from Crane are plenty big for virtually everyone on here. I've used 1's, 2's, and 3's. Want to guess what's in my car at the moment? 1's, albeit very agressively set.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Algorhythm said:
Anything past stg1 requires a tune + springs. Stg1 you can get away with stock tune.
Correct [thumb]
wickedgreyzx3 said:
anything taht doesn't require a tune isn't worth getting
I don't agree.... (intake and exhaust are worth getting....)
But, I am sure it would be very compimented with use of SCT tuning.

wickedgreyzx3 said:
the only real differenace between a cammed tune and a non-cammed tune is increased fuel pressure
What about features relating to the Ignition system? Spark, timing, advancing, etc...?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
Correct [thumb]

I don't agree.... (intake and exhaust are worth getting....)
did you read my response?

What about features relating to the Ignition system? Spark, timing, advancing, etc...?
from what i have talked to randy, if you don't change your cam timming the only differance is increased fuel pressure.. but idk

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
If you guys are signed up on FJ and are keeping track of that crane cam group buy thread there was a guy that had a long conversation with walter and he said that Crane stg. 2 are obviously more aggressive but are not going to get all their worth unless you get an aftermarket intake manifold i.e Cossie manifold... I am just stating what Walter said to someone on FJ... and I should be talking to him about that soon myself.

In my opinion the stg.2's aren't worth the money becuase you have to upgrade the valve springs and retainers and even then if you want to get the max out of them then you would want to get the cossie intake manifold...

From what I have been told in the past by people at focussport and marcymotorsport is... stg. 1's are GREAT for street and then you can set them aggressively for track... people on here tell me that when tuned with the SCT XCAL2, stg. 1 cams can give about 15-18 whp.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
15-18whp?!?!?!?!?!?!?! holy crap!! and then i guess to set them more aggressivley i would have to get the adjustable cam gears then right? so areostudent how much are the stg1 your have in your car now and what brand?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'm using crane cams, check out the duratec forum over on focaljet. there is a big group buy going on

·
Registered
345 Posts
and you don't need the adjustable cam gears to set them. walter marcy (whos running the group buy) has a special tool to set them and its cheaper then the gears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts