Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw in the BST thread that someone is getting rid of all their performance parts due to bending valves twice.
The first time being the result of missing a gear.
The list of performance mods He is getting rid of includes Crower Stage 2 cams,which I also just picked up a set.
The rest of the items are pretty standard,SCT tuner,obx header,Throttle body,etc.
Could the radical cams be the reason for bending valves if You miss a shift?
I have almost the exact same list of parts sitting here waiting to be installed.
Input appreciated-D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
duece he must not have intalled the cams properly..thats the only way. the cam probably spun bc he did not have the cam sprocket bolt tight enough but these cams dont have that much lift to be hitting the piston at tdc

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Does he mention what kind of missed shift? If your redlining it in 3rd and go for 4th but get 2nd and let the clutch out quick you can mechanically over-rev the engine (rev limiter cannot stop it) and the valve float and get bent from hitting piston tops.

It sounds like he just can't drive....

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts exactly.
I just got the Cams from Focusstdriver,and I have never heard of someone having problems like that before....
Either driver error or install fail.
I am excited as can be to get mine done!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His BST thread is now closed,but this is from the ad with list of parts:

So I can say I'm done with the focus now. Missed gear bent all the exhaust valves, replaced all 16 valves and the head. Put it all back together and boom all the exhaust valves bent again, so I'm just going to get rid of everything. I have a duratec 2.0.
I have for sale...
Crower stage 2 cams with springs and retainers
K&N Intake
OBX header
Mandrel Magna 2.5in exhaust with the race pipe, also have the piece that replaced with the race pipe with a magnaflow high flow cat
All the Motor mounts
CFM throttle body
SCT tuner
Eibach Sway bars front and rear with the adapter kit for the rear if you dont have one
FSWERKS upper strut bar

No mention of Cam Gears......although his is a 2.0 and not the 2.3 My ST has.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ill admit it, I did the money shift from 3rd to 2nd and overrevved the bananas out of my engine, which is why I now have a new engine lol. So it can be done. And I don't have cams..yet. But now I baby the shit out of the car.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If he got matching springs I doubt the valves floated. He did say the exhaust valves were the ones that bent...
I'm curious what or why it happened. I have Crane 3's that I'll be putting into my build soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts