Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know exactly how the timing is controlled? There is a solenoid, but what signal does this receive? Is it PWM? Is the oil pressure varied? I'm trying to work out how to control in with a different ECU.

Thanks, Rick.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
It is controled byt the cam signal vs rpm and load once it gets these the ECU calculates how much oil psi to use to move it for the next RPM so you cant use another ECU

I have a VCT Eliminator for 100.00 and you wont have to worry about it any more

Tom

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to eliminate it, that's a backwards step! The cam signal is rpm, or half rpm. I can map against any combination of inputs, but need to know what type of output signal is used, and where it is sent.

Rick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WD40 - many thanks for that link, it looks like i need to vary pwm to the solenoid :) It will probably be a case of advancing the timing when spooling up the turbo and then retarding back when boost builds.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
I don't want to eliminate it, that's a backwards step! Rick
Backwards step ? How do you figure that ? eliminating the VCT had no loss and some gains with FI in the top end

If you know so much about the VCT why are you asking ?

Tom

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
using a micrometer ,measure the cam shaft bearing journals(the raised round

areas)if the measurements are out of specifications replace the cam shaft

1 cam shaft sprockit timeing pointer / answer to question 1

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
double post i know its annoying

svt is a zetec and i think answer to question one

on svt models ,the intake camshaft sproket incorperates the hydraulic
VCT actuator

Tensioner
removeing the tensioner should only be attempted as part of the timeing belt

replacement procedure, while it is possible to reach the tensioner when only

the timing belt upper and middle covers have been removed the whole timeing

belt procedure must be fallowed,to ensure that the valve timeing is correctly

reset,once the belts tension has been disturbed

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Backwards step ? How do you figure that ? eliminating the VCT had no loss and some gains with FI in the top end

If you know so much about the VCT why are you asking ?

Tom
Hi Tom, I'm asking because i didn't know what kind of signal the system is controlled by.

As regards losing the VVT, if all out power was a goal then yes, it would be simpler to lose it. I'd like to try the base setting further retarded than normal if possible, which will allow more total retard for power, and more advanced off boost etc.

Rick.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
What??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ah just my 2 cents but is'nt the VCT there has a way of egr recirculation and not there for "power production"?

Ford used it for a number of thngs. Reducing overlap improves Volumetric efficinecy at low rpm and also reduces emissions because your not throwing un burnt charge down the exhaust. Essentially, it widens the power band.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Ford used it for a number of thngs. Reducing overlap improves Volumetric efficinecy at low rpm and also reduces emissions because your not throwing un burnt charge down the exhaust. Essentially, it widens the power band.
Not true at all , I have moved the VCT with in the tuning from a loss of HP one directions to a loss of power the other direction with no gain anywhere , the VCT eliminator does not loose any power from the 2000 to 7300 that I have tested it at

Tom

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tom, are you saying that you have moved fully retarded and then full advanced the cam timing and seen no change in the power curve? Maybe i have misunderstood you, but this pretty much goes against fundamental engine theory!

Rick.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^not if the VCT was'nt designed to give but instead designed for emissions reasons. Which the SVTF has VCT for emission reasons not power productions. The SVTF has no EGR vavle and uses the VCT for that function not power production. I know what your saying in trying to use it to make more power but this is'nt like v-tec or mivec or any of the others that do use it to "broaden" the power band. If you could tune it to make power then Tom would have done it already. But hey its the thought that counts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
so buy elminating vct you could run aftermarket cams i had tryed before and ford motorsport told me i couldnt cause the snout on the cam with the vct on svtf the intake had a slight taper to it but if the vct is gone then it shouldnt be a concern should be able to shove zetec cames in it correct??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^not if the VCT was'nt designed to give but instead designed for emissions reasons. Which the SVTF has VCT for emission reasons not power productions. The SVTF has no EGR vavle and uses the VCT for that function not power production. I know what your saying in trying to use it to make more power but this is'nt like v-tec or mivec or any of the others that do use it to "broaden" the power band. If you could tune it to make power then Tom would have done it already. But hey its the thought that counts.

I am aware that ford used it for emissions purposes, but that isn't the only reason. Regardless of what Ford did do with it, you can use it for whatever you want if you know how it's controlled. It seems that the oil pressure is varied using a pwm signal. With that info, you can then map in your own inlet cam timing depending on load and rpm. So, you could run very retarded timing figures at the high end for power and have it advanced low down in the rev range to help with spool and low rpm torque.

It is easier to put in some cams, lock the timing and you won't loose any peak power. But if you can, why not make the technology work for you?

Rick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts