Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my next mod after my intake swap is gonna be cams and cam gears. i have the cam gears already.

but mcnewsautomotive has a good price on ford racing stage 1 cams for 230. that is right in my budget. i dont mind saving, but i was wondering what the power difference was between the stage 1 and stage 2. any help would be nice.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
well considering the fact that the fr2's are still a mild cam i couldnt justify the fr1's. most people who go the route of cams with a mild set-up choose the fr2's. thats what i did.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it be wise to go with a difference comany? say crower or comp?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I"ve driven two cars with ford stg2's and they are very friendly on the street with some nice mid-range and top-end gains.

I have been told that a zetec with all the good bvolt-ons will make about 138 HP with the stg 1's and about 144 HP with the stg 2's as a comparison. Those are to the wheels.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hm, i think i will go with stage 2's. thanks yall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
BlueZetec said:
I got FR stageIII and it works fine 2500-6500 big gains
How are the FR III's in stop and go traffic? I have FRII's and am looking for more power. I wouldn't have to upgrade my valvetrain the the FRIII's. Do you know how much difference there is between the II's and III's with the FR's?

Also, what is your idle set at?

·
Registered
348 Posts
deckzx5 said:
How are the FR III's in stop and go traffic? I have FRII's and am looking for more power. I wouldn't have to upgrade my valvetrain the the FRIII's. Do you know how much difference there is between the II's and III's with the FR's?

Also, what is your idle set at?
I'm running them also, and have done so NA and now with the Procharger.

They're fine for daily driving and no need to update the springs or grind the head for clearance. Not sure about the differences between the II's and III's, but the III's pull like a mofo to redline and have a lot more left to go too.

I will be switching out my III's for the Mcnews S/C cams in a few weeks. If you want a good deal on a set, PM me for details.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Are FR2's okay to use in an automatic? Would I need to upgrade the valves at all? The FR website indicates that automatics should only use FR1's...but they're always going to put what's the safest.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
^^^ dont listen to the website, granted they are looking out after you transmission.
I have been running the following for a little over a year and have had no problems
whatsoever.

CompCams XR STG1
CAI
and just recently I installed and OBX 421 header and Focus Sport Stealth exhaust
and have had no problems (counting my blessings!!!)
And this all on a automatic tranny with 50k miles.

Off topic.................... gonna replace the tranny soon though for fear of messing it up.
Lentech here I come

On a side note, it is really difficult to compare different cams by different compaines
CompCams XR STG 1 vs. FRIIs. Doing a straight number comparison the CompCams
have higher duration etc. With doing a straight number compariso, the Comps xrstg1
would roughly be a Ford Racing Stg 2.75. (yeah I know they dont exist.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another good cam choice would be the crane 3's very similar to the ford 3's but still amazing

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont want to go stage III, two at the most and im looking at either the crowers or the comps at this point. most power for the money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the cranes arent that aggressive actually...very streetable...trust me theyre in my daily driver...but I'm not gonna argue the ford II's they rock hard too...depends on what your end goal is...

·
Registered
773 Posts
sooooo...... just checking to see if i got this right. The FR Stage III cams are ok for daily drivers and do not require modification to the block to install???

·
Registered
348 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
773 Posts
and will i still get a kick-in-the-pants boost in HP/TQ when I put em in? right i was also thinking of also installing crower spring/retainers and crower or FC style cam gears. what do u all think that ill get for my HP/TQ gains when that whole settup is installed?? or should i go with a different brand of cams that are more aggressive than the FR stage III's???

thanks
-Sarif2029

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the FR stage III's will work without grinding?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Don't look at the Stage cam look at the grind. The Crower stage 2 is more agressive than other companies stage 3 cams. The FR 2 cams are the best daily driver cams out. They make great power to 6500 and make an excellent torque curve. The Comp 2 cams aren't bad a little flat on torque with a good run on top.

·
Registered
958 Posts
looking at the website and it says that they are .390 does that mean that they require grinding...or is it only from .391 and up?

basically, can they really be put into a stock head w/o fear of damaging the head/valves, etc?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts