1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i installed new cam seals today.

and i still have a leak.

what could it be?

backstory. FR STGIIs installed, started leaking oil for no reason.
replaced cam seals. and the valve cover gasket seems to be in good shape.

any ideas please?

·
Registered
63 Posts
So, I take it that the oil is leaking from the front of the engine (not car, engine) being that you replaced the cam seals. I really would have replaced the valve cover gasket first. From what I have seen, 90% of the oil leaks come from them. If the bolts are too tight, leak. If the bolts are too loose, leak. If they are mismatched in torque, leak. Thats just the crappy part of these valve covers. I would replace the valve cover gasket, and while the valve cover is off, make sure the mating surface is level and smooth. Without seeing it, that would be the first thing I would do.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im getting a new valve cover this weekend. imma check the surfaces and everything. i hate leaks.

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
where is it leaking from? looking from the front of your looking at your engine, front, back, cam gear side. were shooting in the dark, clean it up, turn it on, wait for the leak.

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
Are you sure you got the cam seals in right? the flat end out of engine towards cam gears. Did you use the sealant on the cam gear cover?

·
Registered
213 Posts
my valve gasket was leaking oil after I switched to synthetic, if its a leak from the right of the valve its most likely a bad gasket. I switched mine out and the leak is gone. just go to your dealer and get the replacement.

Peter

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
what 02machfocus said about torque! take it to heart. Valve covers cover a larger area. If your not 'in spec' the cover will twist. I really recommend you invest in a Micrometer Torque Wrench if it's not already in your toolbox.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts