Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all right guys(and gurls) i think this maybe my first thread on this site, might be my first post even though i have been a member for a while.

anywho ill get to the point- i have a 2002 zx3 completely stock i am wanting to build it up a lil to make it a lil more pepy. i want to hit the ground running so to speak with my project i wanted to jump straight to cams and cam gears. well sort of, i wanted to buy them and get the simple bolt ons while saving the cash for labor.

my question is if i go to ford racing stage 2 cams am i going to need to do some head work or will the factory springs and such be enough? and are there any other things i need to be aware of?

basiclly is this a bad place to start any imput will be appreciated.

-reuben

·
Registered
263 Posts
IMO the cams are a great place to start. I'm currently running FR stage II's and they are sweet to say the least. They opened up my Zetec the most (besides the header). You will not need any head work done if you purchase them unlike some others aftermarket cams on the market.

the Dirt Brown Kona in Arizona

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cams won't help you at all unless you can get more air and fuel in and exhaust out.Start with exhaust and intake mods first.Then a good tune.

·
Registered
789 Posts
^^i would agree with you for the first part about the exhaust and intake first

my .02 would be to wait and do the tune when you are done or you do something drastic to the motor that needs a tune.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Wait, you guys want him to have a tune after adding an intake and exhaust? I'd get cams, gears, pulley, header, flex, high-flow cat, and a TB, along with the intake/cat-back before getting a tune. Why throw away money by getting a tune after every couple mods?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im def planning on getting a catback flexpipe and a cai, but what i am doing is starting a..stockpile of parts if you will. i know the cams dont mean much without opening up the air flow, at the same time the bolt ons dont do much more then make noise and look nice with out the internal mods( dont get me wrong: i know a CAI and free flowing exhaust are going to give a nice lil bumb in the hp but nothing Crazy) guys i really appreciate all the help so far and would love to hear more on the matter, esspecially if you have these cams.

·
Registered
958 Posts
my mods are in my profile and there was a noticeable diff after the cams...having said that though...if i could go back i would have gone w something a little more aggressive...like the crower 2's...and if ur getting cams u might as well get the cam gears too that way you can get the most from ur cams

also, anything less than 0.390" of lift and you will be fine w the stock head

1 - 8 of 8 Posts