Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm in the middle of building up my 2.5 with 2.3 Head.

the 2.5 bottom end has less than 3000 miles on it, so I was planning to reuse the timing chain.
However on the 2.3 head I have the cam gears have 50 teeth and the 2.5 's had 38, the 2.5's had VVT, and my crower cams don't so I can't use the intake cam gear from the 2.5.

Where can I find another 38 tooth gear that I can use on the intake cam?
in other words, what car or engine will I find one on, I know a 2010 fusion would have one but our wrecker wouldn't have stuff that new, and also I'm in Canada so 2.3L focus's are only seen in dreams here :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes but $150 for a cam gear seems a but much for what I am doing. and waiting 2 weeks to get it. When I know I can find on for $10 today if I knew what other car I can get it off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ranger engine have the 38 gear, you can use a complete Ranger set-up actually, 2,3L engine height, metal slide, stronger oil pump chain, etc

and if you don't matter I have 2 used laying arround

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'm off to the wrecker this morning to see what I can find, I guess on any of the VVT engines I can just take another exhaust gear and use it on the intake?

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes or just buy one at rockauto
2008 FORD RANGER 2.3L L4 : Engine : Timing Cam Sprocket
CLOYES Part # S898T
Teeth: 38
CAD$21.40

and don't wast your time in the JY
cleaner option to ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need an oil pan and a valve cover anyway as the 2.5 ones wont work so if I can't find one I will buy the one from rock auto.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Tom, I hear you, and if I was going to use it as a race car I would do it for sure.

I'm using it as a daily driver with half a dozen track days a year, and I could do other things with the $1000, that's $250 for the gears if I were to change both and $750 dyno time.

However if it means the difference between 120.1 and a 119.9 laptime at my local track you bet your a$$ I will be doing it :)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Is the crank gear swappable instead of the cam gears?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already got it sorted and here is my understanding.
2003 and below 2.0s used a 50 teeth cam sprocket and different chains
Above that they went to the 38 teeth sprocket. So you can find them on almost anything. I pulled one off a 2008 2.0 focus today. And to answer your question yes. I could have changed the crank gear but then I would have to change the oil pump gear and chain, and the timing chain.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Unsure of your year/model references.

In the Focus, 2.0 D started in '05, 2.3 D in '03-'04 then in ST's for '05-'07.

Didn't know about 2.0's before '05.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts