Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put cam gears on their car? If so what ones did you get? I'm about to get cam gears and im going to do the svt header swap with a ORP. Also at school im going to be able to do a before and after dyno runs and i'll post it. Im going completely stock to header swap and cam gears tuned for best usable power. I'll post all my runs for you guys in the next few weeks

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i have them and i used the focus central ones!!!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
no you will only gain power by tuning them. u cannot tune cams w/ stock cam gears, you need aftermarket ones

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have aem true time cam gears there not on my car yet but im planning on having them on in janurary if you want ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i think they are a must for anyone who is installing aftermarket cams. For stockers they are still helpful but to a lesser degree

·
Registered
921 Posts
r the stock svt cams gud to tune i know its no since of buying cams for the stock svt because the stock one r gud, but 4 the svt u can only buy the exhaust cam gear
Stock SVT cams are pretty aggressive, and shouldn't be touched.

·
Registered
178 Posts
thanks im tying 2 get as much info as i can to see how far i can push the stock cams on the svt as i can.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The SVT motor is maxed out pretty well. Bolt-ons don't add anything but noise and drivability really. Tunes are good to smooth things out and squeeze out a little extra torque. If you want more power, it's gonna need boost.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Has anyone put cam gears on their car? If so what ones did you get? I'm about to get cam gears and im going to do the svt header swap with a ORP. Also at school im going to be able to do a before and after dyno runs and i'll post it. Im going completely stock to header swap and cam gears tuned for best usable power. I'll post all my runs for you guys in the next few weeks

If you can, make 2 pulls, Do all the exhaaust, get numbers, then do the cams and pull it again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can, make 2 pulls, Do all the exhaaust, get numbers, then do the cams and pull it again.
Thats what im going to do. I'm doing the header swap this weekend, i just gotta make an ORP at school tomorrow, and i'll post pics. (if anyone is interested in one PM me.) Ill do a pull with just the svt swap and orp. Then when the cam gears come in ill post all the runs i do and let you guys know the best numbers for stock cams. I'm hoping to get about 15hp with everything. Do you think that is too lofty of a goal?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Adjustable cam gears help greatly on stock cams anyone who thinks other wise is just not wise lol. Our cam timming is so loose from the factory. Thats why some zetecs make more power than others. I have cam gears on the stock cams and it was the best mod I have ever done besides getting rid of the factory cat and manifold. You MUST have them dyno tuned cause your butt dyno sucks. Trust me I know I was so far off trying to tune them without a dyno. I have power everywhere now. down low and up top. I gain TQ everywhere. You can check out my dyno in the zetec dyno section and if you notice I'm putting out pretty decent numbers for what I have also you say I'm not just look at the dyno's everybody else is using there dynojets and I used a mustang dyno it reads lower but you get the idea.

CAM GEARS FTW!!!! stock cam or aftermarket!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Adjustable cam gears help greatly on stock cams anyone who thinks other wise is just not wise lol. Our cam timming is so loose from the factory. Thats why some zetecs make more power than others. I have cam gears on the stock cams and it was the best mod I have ever done besides getting rid of the factory cat and manifold. You MUST have them dyno tuned cause your butt dyno sucks. Trust me I know I was so far off trying to tune them without a dyno. I have power everywhere now. down low and up top. I gain TQ everywhere. You can check out my dyno in the zetec dyno section and if you notice I'm putting out pretty decent numbers for what I have also you say I'm not just look at the dyno's everybody else is using there dynojets and I used a mustang dyno it reads lower but you get the idea.

CAM GEARS FTW!!!! stock cam or aftermarket!!

Thanks for the info man, i'm going to post a big thread on the gains i got with an svt header setup with an orp and cam gears, and i'm doing this all next week with the dyno pulls. I'm just curious, what cam gears did you get and do you know what you degreed your cams to?

·
Banned
143 Posts
at the risk of sounding stupid- can the stock cam gears be machined such that you can adjust them? they are held on by a few bolts yes? so i was thinking perhaps the holes on the gears can be elongated so that they can be moved left or right relative to the bolts holding it on. i actually have no idea if this is how cam gears are adjusted so correct me if im wrong. just a crazy idea of mine.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^There is only one bolt holding the cam gear onto the cam. Has for what cam gears I have they are MAC cam gears. Cheapest I could find and they work great no problems and I have adjusted them lots of times before the final tune (once again I'll say I was way off on the butt tunning). It was one of the best mods I have ever done for my car. Before the power would drop off greatly after 5k rpms now it'll pull all the way no problems it really woke up the car.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts