Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooooo the day before it happen the car sounded like I ran into a big puddle of water, but i didnt, after a couple of seconds the squeel went way. On freaking new years day merging on the interstate the car just shuts off. no biggy, tried to pop the clutch...nothing. I didnt want to venture too far from the exit so i pull over. Thinking just maybe my coil got unplug from some odd reason i see my timing belt off the gear, then one my cam gears chilling on the engine mount the bolt no where to be found. Finally today i got the bolt ordered from the dealership, i jokingly tried to take the other one off and it took little effort to come undone.

Im hoping the bolt came out clean and didnt break inside the cam shaft. i hope i didnt bend any valve either.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
LOCKTITE!!! and make sure you torque that thing well, when you put it back on....The valves should be fine, just get it timed right.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. i plan to tap it with a impact wrench once or twice

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
There is a torgue spec on that bolt. I would be VERY careful not to load the cam, they are easy to break on our cars ( or so I hear). I always have a wrench on the flat of the cam and torque it that way. Better, and less risky than a impact gun.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ok. i plan to tap it with a impact wrench once or twice
x2 as a bad idea!

I just tried to get the torque spec but the Ford site is down.
Loctite and torque it, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill do the locktite, i was talking in fustrated i mentioned the impact wrench

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
See below for specs if you need them, and I would use LocTite blue if any.

Also if you have never touched the cam gears nor has a shop I would try to find why it came off. Vibration and/or undue stress on the gear would be the only reason I can think it may come off. They honestly don't just fall off with out some underlying problem or mistake on someones part.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i havent touch them since i got it back from tom last year. ill see what i can find out and thanks for the info

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
271 Posts
I don't have the manual in front of me but I think the spec is 55 ft-lb's on the cam gear bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts