Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a 2001 ZX3 DOHC. I'm doing a top end engine build up. Ford Racing stage 2 cams, FR .410" lift springs, new valves, retainers, keepers, cam gears, header, TB, ported and polished head. I know there is no way to set the cams w/out the followers. I'm told by Ford that the followers come in exact sizes and are $16 each. My manual says there are shims in there that you have to change.

Have any of you guys swaped out your cams and had to set the lash on this car? Are there shims in there? Can I get a shim kit? [?|]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, honestly all you basicly need are the cams. Depending on the lift, you should get better valve springs and then will have to reset the valve lash by shimming the followers. It depends on the application.

·
Registered
958 Posts
iirc, the shims are the followers...again, iirc, they can also be called buckets...basically you have to measure the clearance after the new cams, if it is within spec then you leave the buckets alone...otherwise you have to do some math and the easiest way it w a chart so you know what you have and what you need...check out this LINK...you will likely have to scroll down

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the right ones on order with the the help of McNews. What a cluster F putting these cams in has been. Its just one thing after another.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Putting them in is the easy part. It is the math and other stuff that can get hard, be patient and do it right. P.M. me if you need further help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts