Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously....anybody out there with a 2012+ Focus with Powershift who is NOT having problems and is enjoying the transmission performance? It seems like I am only reading posts from angry Focus owners, which sucks because I just picked up a gently used 2013 with low miles, so I hate to be part of the angry Focus group in the future.

Speaking from personal experience - other than a slight variance in idle, which I was assured by a Ford service technician was completely normal due to the design of the transmission, I am VERY happy with the performance of the Powershift transmission...so far..

Anybody?????

[:(]

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
650 miles in and it seems great to me. Guess time will tell.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We've only put 21k on ours and both my wife an I had no problems with it.
We have a modest slope to our driveway before pulling in the garage and sometimes it hiccuped a little during that transition but we got used to it.
I've had worse times with a clutch going out in my '69 'Stang.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
3.5k miles on mine and not a single issue, the trans performs great when you drive it how its supposed to be driven.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
3.5k miles on mine and not a single issue, the trans performs great when you drive it how its supposed to be driven.
what he said. i have 14,500 on mine now with now issues. you just have to drive it right. Every now in then when i'm in stop and go driving it will hiccup a little bit but i've driven stick shifts my whole life and they would do the same thing. This car feels normal to me having driven stick my whole life. I love the car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
13k here and love mine. Once I figured out that it's not a typical auto transmission, it was easy to figure out.

Just rented a car with auto for a week and it was strange how it drove and how noisy it was. Love my power shift now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have a 2012 with 24000 miles. I am happy with the automatic transmission. At low speeds if I accelerate too fast it might jerk occasionally. I put that down to the computer brains picking the wrong gear. I had the clutch pack and seal replaced once and it is much better. Ford Service told me when the seals leak transmission fluid on the clutch it can't grab properly and slips. Don't know if that is the explanation for all jerks. Someone on this forum said leaking is worse when the air temperature is warm outside. Why would seals leak more in the summer? Anyway I don't mash the gas pedal and I am happy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
8000km and my 2014 is amazing.

It does hesitate and jerk around rarely at low speeds, but i expect that when the car has to think about gear changes.

Otherwise, still fabulous!

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
53,000 miles on my '13 SE and it works better than when I bought her. I bought my Focus used with 37,950 miles on her. She was an Enterprise rental car. She shuddered and jerked when I first got her. This was from renters not driving her properly. I drove her like a manual, and by the time I had put 7500 miles on her, all the shuddering and jerking was gone.

I LOVE my DCT! It shifts very well now and I have a blast driving her. She is really fun to drive in "S" mode.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What do people mean "drive it like a manual" ? I have also read drive it like you stole it which I assume is pedal to the metal. However in my experience aggressive throttle will make it jerk. The smooth easy touch seems to work best.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For me, it's it's realize the it's really a manual with auto clutch and shifting. That's how our sales guy described it and once I drove it with that in mind, it's worked great. I've rented Foci before that and had horrible experiences and reported the cars as defective. After owning, no more problems.

Oh... Driving aggressive works but I can't afford the lower gas mileage but it's very responsive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When my '13 Focus was getting a PCM software update the dealership gave me a 2014 Mazda 3 hatch as a loaner (auto of course). Man, what a difference between the two! The Focus was so much more responsive, especially out of the hole!

I love the way the DCT performs and hope it will serve me well for a long time. Driving it "like a manual" is a good suggestion. I haven't had any jerkiness or shudder *knock on wood*

·
Registered
50 Posts
2012 bought in Feb 2012 - 64,500 miles - no issues, or so I thought -

Oil change at Ford, a leak in the trans was noticed.

They casually mentioned it, I'm curious if this is covered under the extended warranty that Ford provided for the DCT's and TSB-14-0131?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
A lot of the slight shuddering on takeoff and during shifts comes from the weak factory rear motor mount as well. I added the FSWerks insert and the shuddering is gone.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Seriously....anybody out there with a 2012+ Focus with Powershift who is NOT having problems and is enjoying the transmission performance? It seems like I am only reading posts from angry Focus owners, which sucks because I just picked up a gently used 2013 with low miles, so I hate to be part of the angry Focus group in the future.

Speaking from personal experience - other than a slight variance in idle, which I was assured by a Ford service technician was completely normal due to the design of the transmission, I am VERY happy with the performance of the Powershift transmission...so far..

Anybody?????

[:(]
A tick under 60,000 and it's still on the original clutch packs and programming, nary a leak to mention. I have a virgin transmission, if you will -- there was a point in time where it would shudder and slip but it settled down.

This is one of many similar threads to have appeared here, many of them end up in a lot of bickering. Keep in mind that your average consumer is not going to join a forum just to say that "all is good." There is a concentrated negativity here surrounding the DCT

1 - 20 of 53 Posts