Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Michigan today it was 38 degrees this A.M and I noticed my gas millage went down big time, AMPG is 18,19 has anyone’s else having this decrease on there cars in the colder states. May car is an auto DSP6

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I thought it was just me... It's been cold and raining the past 2 days. My average mpg has dropped from 38 to about 33.5 or so. Again, I'm mostly highway miles - but nevertheless I've also noticed this trend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My mpg was down by a couple miles yestereday, which I figured was due to all the rain and the wind. Today, I drove my CR-V due to the even stronger winds. I have been getting great mpg on the highway with the Focus, usually 38-41 but once up to 45. However, I do notice that every hill brings the mpg down so I'm not surprised that the current weather conditions are affecting it.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Likewise, down a couple of MPG myself as we cool down over here.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, the cold weather has an effect on most vehicles. This car will take more of a hit because of the excellent gas mileage. It takes more gas to warm the car and run it down the road because the bearings, tires, more accessories on when it's cold. The rain also puts resistance on the tires.

Usually I am around 40 MPG and this morning with 48 degrees and rain I was at 36.3 MPG on the same route to work.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could be the stations are switching over to winter blend fuel, but even then it should only be a small change in mileage (1-2%).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I noticed when it is raining outside I get wet. Any other Focus owners notice this?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey, 2012Ti! I'm not too far from you (when I'm in the States). Home of the Highland Festival. [;)] I've been watching the home town weather on Yahoo, been lookin' pretty cold and wet. Bbbbbbrrrrr!!!!!!

It's been mostly sunny and upper 80s to around 90 every day here. Oh yea, really swell sand storm most of last night. Bet you didn't have that in MI!

Did I mention the random gunfire and odd mortaring, now and then? [target]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I also noticed the drop in mpg's when it was colder and raining yesterday.
Mainly when pulling out and first few blocks it REALLY dropped like a stone.
Afterwards, when the engine was all warmed up I reset the mpg meter, and it was back to normal mpgs.
So the cold start and first few miles are the real mpg killer. After it is warmed up it seems pretty normal. Only making up for those warm up miles in mpgs is really hard to do...
Check it out yourself.
After the engine is fully warmed up, reset your mpg meter, and see if it is near the usual? [wave]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I noticed when it is raining outside I get wet. Any other Focus owners notice this?
Nope. I do not have that problem. [:p]
I have heated indoor under the building parking. So if it is raining outside, I do not get wet. I just walk down to car dry as can be, and get in.
When i get to where I am going, i keep an umbrella in the car. no wet there either.

I melt if I get wet, just like my Mother did.. (You saw her in Wizard of Oz...) [V]

Same for snow. Never have to clean it off, dig it out, never.

Nor move it for snow emergencies. Once I realized the joy of indoor heated parking. i will never live anywhere without it. (at least not in the Snowbelt!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts