Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please if you own any type of the F2 body kit, hatch or sedan, wide body or not, please get a hold of Extream Dimensions here on FF....

They are looking to make the F2 kit again and need the kit for a day or two. Im sure if you send it to them they will have some sort of price off later on for you or something...

Please help share the joy of owning that body kit even if its made by ED now. There are a bunch of us that still want that kit and ED is looking to make it as soon as they get a kit to borrow for a day or two... So what are you waiting for get ahold of Extream Dimensions and get that kit in... Think about it, how cool would you be if you saved the kit from total extension and how fast you would be at the top of our list for being "that guy/gal"....

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Ill do what i can, but my options are limited. This bumper was expensive for me, and its on my daily driver/work vehicle. Also, i rarely ever get 2 days off in a row, so i cant just drop it off and let them fiddle for a few days.

I left them a message, see what they say.

·
Rollin' Hard
2,137 Posts
What are they gonna make it of?...
Poly, fiber?...

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Pretty sure there is another company that still owns those designs. Not exactly kosher copying someone else's work... plus, lawsuits aren't typically fun.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
If you make a small change here or there then it is no longer copyright infringement.

Just like a kit car.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Man why do people get all bent out of shape about lawsuits, infringement, shit like that when it isn't even your product to get bent out of shape about?

I think it's great that someone is willing to offer more for the Focus. I say go for it, and depending on where I'm at when (and if) it comes out then I'll be buying it.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Pretty sure there is another company that still owns those designs. Not exactly kosher copying someone else's work... plus, lawsuits aren't typically fun.
Technically speaking, ford already makes the RS front bumper, and F2 Copied that, so there arent really any grounds for anybody to stand on. Im sure that Extreme Dimensions will make some changes and produce a higher quality, better fitted bumper.

i made a thread about the rs kits back to market a while ago...
gp-werks makes them now... and i believe that they are out of polyurethane which is even better...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253670
GPWerks' website doesn't list the product, and that announcement was made over 6 months ago. GPWerks has yet to deliver, and like I said, im certain the Extreme Dimensions version will be 10x the product for the money.

·
Rollin' Hard
2,137 Posts
GPWerks' website doesn't list the product, and that announcement was made over 6 months ago. GPWerks has yet to deliver, and like I said, im certain the Extreme Dimensions version will be 10x the product for the money.
well i hope E.D. would be able to make the kits out of poly, and if they are better quality and fitment than F2 then [welcome]...
havnt heard many great things about F2 kits...

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
well i hope E.D. would be able to make the kits out of poly, and if they are better quality and fitment than F2 then [welcome]...
havnt heard many great things about F2 kits...
I dont see why they wouldnt, poly bumpers are easier and cheaper to make form a manufacturing standpoint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Guys I guess I can shed some light here on things...we have infact taken over for a lot of F2 products and have decided to not pursue a lot of the products as well....
We do in fact have the molds and have been actively looking for a supplier that can produce urethane parts and work on the molds for some slight changes. It has been a 9 month project and we finally got it.
We will again start producing the RS replica kits in polyurethane and just to educate us as I had to educate myself along the way fiberglass/duraflex are easy to make and the cost is really cheap....
Just a small breakdown of costs....Fiberglass/Duraflex molds run about $1500 to make and you can make about 25-50 bumpers, then you need to work on the mold again...
Urethane molds run about $7000-$10,000 depending on complexity and you can get an unlimited amount of bumpers in urethane...about every 50 bumpers you need to polish the mold to get the resedue out of the mold....

So to answer the last question...it is not cheaper to make polyurethane bumpers!
But in our case we got these molds pretty cheap....but finding companies to make them is hard because a few have closed down.....and others have grown...

We are expecting our first production run to be done this coming week and we will install one on a car that we have to make sure all is good...so stay tuned for more to come...we will also become a sponsor here very soon...

Thanks
Tony
www.gp-werks.com
[email protected]

·
Rollin' Hard
2,137 Posts
I agree with stilix.. It is great news..

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Yes, great news but the F2 bumpers did not fit well at all. GPsales you should talk to Viperthreat to see what problems he had with fitment. Also talk to ZetecDon, he had issues as well. I just want to get one that fits well with no problems. Poly or Duraflex either work for me although I am more partial to good quality poly. Would also be nice if the euro turn signals and euro foglight surrounds would fit as well.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Man this is going to sting, and its going to make me look like a prick, but it has to be said, so.....

We are expecting our first production run to be done this coming week and we will install one on a car that we have to make sure all is good...so stay tuned for more to come...we will also become a sponsor here very soon...

Thanks
Tony
www.gp-werks.com
[email protected]
Not trying to be a hater, but this sounds faintly reminiscent of exactly what you told us back in march. here

As of currently, ive heard alot of "we should be"s that haven't happened. And i find it curious that we hear not a word for 6 months, and when another company finally agrees to reproduce the bumper, within 24 hours, suddenly, a new account with a single post appears claiming that you guys are only a few days away from stocking your storefront.

Again, not trying to be a hater, im just really suspicious about the whole thing. Im not happy with mine, and have always wanted to get one that isnt as poorly built as mine was, and im also friends with people who have been waiting over a year for it, and i genuinely want to help them get it.

------------------------

On another not-so-good-note:

Should Extreme Dimensions start making their own version of the RS Replica bumper, im sure that they will address all of the problems that the F2 versions had, things that you with an already made mold cannot fix without starting from scratch. As a consumer, i would much rather purchase the Mark-2 where the bugs and issues have been worked out.

People are not going to line up to buy a low quality bumper, when the competition has a high quality version for around the same price.

Heres a few pics of what im talking about:

This is the F2 bumper after i had it laid out in the sun for a week to remove the warping that it came with. The bumper itself had absolutely no prep work, and it appeared that the mold injection points had been taken off with a grinder.

This is the bumper installed, there is no way to fix this issue without reshaping the mold, its also not repairable on the bumper because the material is not thick enough to sand down, and its too stiff to bend.

The bottom of the bumper flared out almost 2 inches on either side, it pulled so hard on the wheel well liners, that my tires ground through them in under a day, i had to cut off the liners, and install metal braces to push the front of the bumper out, and hold the edges of the bumper in.

This is the result of the bracing. i have since cut down the middle of that, and run a bolt through it to keep it from bending down so far. Its obvious here that the mold it came from has issues. Ricardo from F2 told me that it is supposed to flare out, but im 100% sure he was bsing. Not only does it not line up with the rest of the car, it caused damage to the liners.

I dont have relevant pictures on hand, but there is no surface on which to mount foglights, some people have fabbed up intricate metal rigs that the lights hang from, i tried, but couldnt get it right. I ended up trying glue, and now, have reverted to good old fashioned duck-tape.

Also, there are many deformities to the mold that were so large, they could not be fixed, the bumper is quite flexible which is good in many ways, but bondo, and other bodyfilling materials of more than an inch square simply chip away when the bumper is even slightly flexed.

There are more issues, such as the lines of the bumper not quite matching up:

Circled in red, you can see that what should be a smooth curve has a jog in it where the bumper and fender meet. this is one of many similar issues that are permanantly engraved into the mold.

So frankly, from my standpoint, we have the option of letting Extreme Dimensions start from scratch and address all these issues, and recieve a high quality bumper that fits right and looks right, or we can put our apples into a basket that has known unfix-able defects, from a company that thus far is all talk.

Again, im not tyring to be hater, just stating the facts as i see them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We or I have never been here under another sign on or anything like that and we came in here because in the past few months we have received various emails and phone calls about this body kit, but we have all along actively been looking for a supplier for the bumpers but moving these big molds takes a lot of time an effort and a lot of waiting! To be honest I was getting tired of looking for a company to make these after so much effort....

No body is hating and I really like the feedback but we can only do what we can do...

As for the issues you are stating I can see what you are saying...and let me just also state the obvious...when we owned a body shop a few years ago I never had an aftermarket fit perfect or close to perfect, some were impossible!

If I recall we did a few old F2 kits and we did have some issues but nothing like others, but overall if we prepared the work before hand they did fit pretty good, We used the lip kit that was made after to make the bumper stronger instead of the metal plates like your picture shows...

We have found that not using the stock mounting brackets work a lot better in fitment of the bumpers and for that reason we have taken a lot longer to bring it back to market...this body kit sold pretty good as I look through some old paperwork....
But it is an aftermarket piece and by far one of the best looking replica kits around that I have seen and we are glad that we can bring it back...

We are also addressing the fog light issue we are of...we are just wanting to use an OEM light if possible with some sort of adapter that will look seamless to the bumper!

And to state some facts as well:
We really don't have to make this kit at all but the molds are sitting here taking up a lot of space and we got them for about 80% cheaper than if we made them ourselves..
The molds were for sale and only one person was interested in them for the past 2 years...so maybe the interest is not there at all!
But I don't think ED will be starting from scratch if they are using an old F2 bumper the best way is to use a stock bumper and a perfect car!

Thanks
Tony
www.gp-werks.com

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
All I can say is wow. That's alot of issues. GP you guys would really need to redo those molds to fix those issues. Also of note the bumper should not flare out at the bottom on the sides in front of the wheels. Definite BS from the F2 guy for crappy workmanship and design. Now if ED can fix these issues and improve it a bit then i'm there.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
No body is hating and I really like the feedback but we can only do what we can do...

But I don't think ED will be starting from scratch if they are using an old F2 bumper the best way is to use a stock bumper and a perfect car!

Thanks
Tony
www.gp-werks.com
I fully understand your situation as well, i know you guys want to run your business and make a profit, im just saying that as the circumstances sit, the ED option is looking alot more attractive as since they are quite involved with the forums, they know what we want, and can do exactly that.

Im fairly certain they would start from scratch, they have made it clear that they dont intend to use the F2 Bumper as the mold-maker as they have requested to simply borrow it more or less. Mold making from a bumper usually destroys it from what im aware. I think instead they want it for more of a reference to see what did work, and what didn't work. With mine in its current condition, they can see the changes i had to make to get close fitment, which they can in turn implement in their design.

Right now, ED appears to be dedicated to make this bumper as they are actively searching for f2 parts. Unless they back out, i think you would be best served to focus on other things that the focus community is desperate for.
Have you seen this thread by chance?: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237048

ED backed out because they wanted to charge more than most of us were willing to pay. If you make that and keep the price under $160, it will sell like hotcakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easy enough...we prefer to not deal with any body kits or body parts at all...
As for the grill we have no interest in that as to make another mold for plastic will cost about $3-5000 dollars and in this economy that will take a lot grills to be sold to recover that investment....

Thanks for the input and I hope it works out with the bumpers....
We will still be joing focusfanatics in the very near future as we are gearing up with our marketing plan.....

Thanks
Tony
www.gp-werks.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts