Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a trip in the wagon and noticing a woosh-woosh noise like when braking and then fades away few seconds after take off. Sounds like grease or something oily rubbing. Proportional to wheel speed.

Coming from front left only. Is this a combo of sticking Caliper and badly Warped rotor? Or dirty pad rotors?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sticking Caliper is when it doesn't release & keeps dragging.

You can jack up & spin wheel to check for that, then look at your rotors (both sides) to check their condition along with the pads. Pads could be getting worn &/or rotors rusting on you.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
If car sits out in the rain then look at which side gets the most rain on discs. Commonly if car sits two days in rain (weekend) the discs will make noise until they scrape all rust off, maybe first 2-3 stops. Mine do it all the time, normal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car usually parked in head on stall, so no soaking happens to either wheel.

I pulled the wheel and there is alot of rust around the rotor I guess it's rubbing somewhere I can't see if that's the cause.

Once I remounted the wheel the noise went away for the first block or two then came right back quieter and at slightly higher speed. I'm gonna replace them with some 50 dollar pair from Napa and see what happens.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Is there any vibration when braking?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any vibration when braking?
Only under hard braking conditions, it also feels like you're hitting a bar and that was another preexisting problem I believe is related to abs.

If the noise was a non brake issue,like wheel bearing id imagine it would go up proportionally with speed

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it true the difference in thickness between the old rotor and new would warrant opening the bleeder to protect ABS?

Is it true you must open the bleeder when replacing worn down brake pads to prevent back pressure on the ABS system?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've pushed the piston back into countless calipers on cars that are equipped with ABS and nothing bad has ever happened. I honestly think that's a myth.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If particles/contaminants/sludge collect anywhere in the brake system not opening the bleeder valve pushes the crap backwards towards the abs and master components. Opening the bleeder prevents that.
My rule, if you're replacing pads/shoes then replace the brake fluid. I replace the fluid first then you've removed any contaminants.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran alongside the car and it sounds like a creaking noise from the outside perfectly timed with each rotation. It still sounds like a whoosh whoosh sound from the inside cabin.

I have determined now it only seems to begin once a RIGHT turn has been made.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check the clearance on the brake dust shields. It's possible they either got slightly bent or the rotor has corroded just enough it's making contact with it somewhere.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
It could be a wheel bearing, by what your descibing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Some have them on the ball joints, even without the large ones covering the back of the disc that are more familiar.

One member recently had just that as a brake noise problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I'm hearing what sounds like a tiny plastic bag/sticky sound when rotating the hub with rotor off. It's not that consistent so maybe cv joint drying up? Irrelevant?

Like I said could not reproduce the woosh with just rotor or tire on. Rotor had only 80% surface area making contact on inboard sides. The brake pads had more wear on the sides with the center area raised and a corresponding width valley on rotor. Visible runout. Its As if the rotors were wearing down faster than the pads, what the hell? Addressing this immediately even if it's not the solution.

Mismatched pads rotors, wrong material combination?

Heavy rust on knuckle but no signs of contact/rubbing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Rotor rusting on what should be a contact area can't be reversed, a fresh set of rotors/pads is the only solution.

Once that starts it just gets worse, and expands the affected area as time goes on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fresh pads rotors mid grade napa. Cleaned up the knuckle, still whooshing on right turns and slightly lingers upon straightening out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Brake wise, were the slider pins clean & greased?

When it's jacked up, any drag on either wheel after applying the brakes when spun by hand?

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
In my experience a sticking caliper is usually time for a new caliper. I have terrible luck with mine. I just go and get a new rebuilt at the parts store when it happens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts